Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, October 19, 2012

31 days :: Pie Night!

.. . . .... . .. . .. .. . .. . .. ... .. .. . .. . .. . .. .. .. . .. .. . .. . . .. .. ... .. . ..
It's Friday!  A great night, to implement something new!  Let me introduce you to what my one friend calls  "Yoder Pie Night".  

I think you'll be intrigued.
Let me tell you about this...


I, for one, am always looking for new ideas on different ways to extend hospitality.  I keep coming back to this conversation I've had with one of my older (Mennonite) friends - when I worked at the hospital.  I hope I'm recalling the story correctly.
This friend of mine's husband was from a rather large family.  I already mentioned this - a Mennonite family.
So to think about PIE...well, that is a pretty common staple in a family like such.

But they made it into something.
Something unique and fun.

Once a month.  The siblings in this particular Yoder family would take turns to host what they called
"Yoder Pie Night"

They would gather sometime after dinner - whoever could come - (I think there were 4-5 siblings, and so include the spouses) and they would just have homemade pie (and ice cream?); sit around and play games.
The hostess in charge that month would make the pies (or buy them!), put on the coffee and pull out the games!

Fun and Simple.

What better to do then to do this on a rainy Friday night, eh?
 Of course, I'd have to change the last name...

Oh!  And one more necessary clarification.  You don't have to be Mennonite to do something like this.  But let me venture to say... if you have even a slightly remote chance at having Mennonite Roots... you've smiled, because you know how good "getting together" can be.  Especially over Pie and Ice Cream!!!!
***
Click on the button below to read the previous posts in this series.  Updated daily.

31daysofHeartsatHome


5 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! This would work in a Bible study or Sunday School group too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love that idea! Thanks for sharing! Happy weekend!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps. That pie looks delicious! What kind is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is called Funny Cake. You can find the recipe here.

      http://treasuredupandpondered.blogspot.com/2012/06/funny-cake.html

      This is truly a PA Dutch recipe and pretty common to our home area.

      If you try it ... you'll have to simply smile. It's that good.

      Delete
  4. Love the idea! My ten year old just made her first pie for school the other day, we're learning through the Little House on the Prairie books, so this was a fun assignment.

    Hospitality is a lost art on the west coast, I am sad to say. When we invite people over they're usually shocked. We rarely get invited back. But, since it is the Lord's idea and His way of blessing people, we keep on. I always love your fresh ideas for hospitality.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...