Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday's Find :: Needled Notion

. .. .. .. .. . .. .. .. . .. . .. .. .. .. . .. . .. .. . . .. .. .  
Can you believe in all of my sewing years I have never had a pin cushion... to call my own?  That is, until this one came my way.

 ~Friday's Finds~ 
{Welcome to Friday's Finds! For those of you who are new to this blog and/or just poppin' in - Hello! and welcome. On Friday's I like try to feature "a find" of no particular value or sentiment, no reason or rhyme and yet, exactly for all of those reasons I just mentioned.}
  
 
I happen to have a sweet little ole mother-in-law, who just so happened to have an extra pin cushion lying around.
A pin cushion given over with a warning: "Watch out for a few needles still stuck inside - I can feel `em!"

***

She was right!

Here is my Friday's Find!

 Now.  The first photo was taken back in August of 2010.  At the time that is what Susie-Mom said to me... when she handed over the pin cushion.

Yesterday.  I was upstairs sewing.  And - over the course of time, while using this vintage blessing, I know I have used it pretty hard.  Meaning needles and pins are certainly in and out of it.   A lot!
I also have a four year old daughter who likes to "play" - ahem, excuse me!... she is learning - in my sewing room.
But yesterday, I went for  my one particular needle when I discovered  it was gone ... along with a few others that I KNOW I have recently stuck in there.  Uhmm.  "Interesting... ", I thought to myself.

One thing I thought I had "learned", over time, is to try and keep a small piece of thread through the eye of the needle so that it won't go "swimming in sawdust". Which I did... You see the one with the white thread attached?  Yeah.

Well, this gave me a chuckle yesterday afternoon... I thought to myself, " there is nothing like this vintage tomato pin cushion notion getting all needled for no apparent reason".

Till it was all said and done.  I think I pulled 18-20 needles out of this pin cushion.  One of them being an actual sewing machine needle.  Great!  I needed one of those...

Either I didn't fully follow through on my own "observation", with the thread idea (which is possible), or my MIL lost some really good needles over time.  I mean there were some really good ones in there.  And, I wouldn't be surprised one bit, as there are probably a few more still in there ...

I wonder how many stitches each one has made?

Happy ~sewing~ Weekend, to all.

6 comments:

  1. I've lost a few needles of my own in pincushions over the years. But I don't think I've ever seen that many come out of a pincushion. Good thing you didn't get stuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I did! That's the funny part. When I picked it up - I remembered what my MIL said about it and started "squeezing" it and here and there - when I'd feel another prick... so that is when I got my tweezers out. I must have spent the next 15-20 minutes just working on getting these out. I was pretty much laughing by now as yet again I'd find another and another.

      That's when I got the camera and thus this blog post was "born". Great find... ;)

      Delete
  2. Holy Moly that's a lot of needles! ha! One of my favorite treasures is my mom's old pincushion and thimble. Just to think of her lovely hands using it to mend and sew. I love it! I answered your coffee question on my blog - I think I will do a giveaway! That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny, I didn't ever think about the fact you could loose needles in a pin cusion! What a find - like treasures! Especailly finding the sewing machine one when you needed it! Can't wait to see what you are making! :D Oh and I really like your new banner/header! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...treasures within a treasure! What a sweet pincushion your Mother in Law gifted to you. I love little heirlooms like that!

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...