Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Pondering:: Oh Holy Night! (and prayer for our President)

... .... . .. ... . .. . .. .. . .. .. . .. .. . .. .. . .. . .. . .. .. . . . .. . .. . . .. . . ..
O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;
O night divine, O night, O night Divine.
Led by the light of Faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming,
Here come the wise men from Orient land.
The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our friend.
He knows our need, to our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before Him lowly bend!
Behold your King, Before Him lowly bend!
Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother;
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name.
Christ is the Lord! O praise His Name forever,
His power and glory evermore proclaim.
His power and glory evermore proclaim.

It wasn't long after the horrifying and awful, awful  incident that had happened in CT, with the school shooting, that my thoughts went here.
***
We had just come off of our Church's Christmas Concert, which was the Sunday evening  of "that weekend".  The refrains of the various songs that were sung that evening were still fresh in my mind.  I couldn't stop singing them.
Oh Holy Night, was just one of them.
 It was a couple of evenings later, and by now, many more breath-taking hugs and kisses had been doled out to each of my own children.  My mother-heart was feeling for the many, too many, mama's up there in CT. 
Oh, how - well, words couldn't be found to describe what I was feeling for them in their loss and pain.

My hands were washing up our evening dishes.  My own three little one safely tucked in to their beds for the night.

I began to pray.
For those families.
For my own.
For this country.
For our President.
(Particularly for our President. I saw and heard how this affected him, too.)

You see, the lyrics of the Christmas hymn above were written so long ago.  And yet, how effective for today.
This line of song lyric kept replaying itself in my heart as I prayed for Mr. Obama.
Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother;
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name.

I prayed that over this Christmas Season he (President Obama) would be caught off guard by the lyric of this verse just as I was.  That somehow he wouldn't just hear this song playing. 
But that he would really hear this song playing.  And, listen...

It's only in Jesus' name that our oppression will cease.

NOT

New laws.
Gun-Control
Different Legislation
etc.

***
I want to say, "But, Who am I?"

Nevertheless, I still prayed that night.

Jesus, is our Peace!  Our only HOPE!  Amen?

And the tears fell into the dishwater... just as much.

4 comments:

  1. Well said... Amen.. :-) God can use your prayers to touch the heart of the President.
    :-) Thanks for sharing your heart. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he does... I know He can, too.

    Thanks for reading and listening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have missed your sweet, sweet words!
    Bless your loving Mother's heart.
    Your tears haven't gone unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...