Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, August 19, 2013

The Clothesline (a poem)

. ... .. .. .... ... .. .. .. .. ..... .. .. .. .. . .. .. .. .. .. 
I recently came across this poem and I had to smile - at what it says - simply because it says so much.

I'm not kidding... I think it is pretty "right on" and true!   At least it was for back in the day, and it probably is somewhat even truer today - more than one might know.  You could say - the author of this poem surely pinned this one, "right on the line".

I just thought I would share it with you today...



The Clothesline 

A clothesline was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the fancy sheets
And towels on the line;
You'd see the company table clothes
With intricate design.

The line announced a baby's birth
To folks who lived inside
As brand new infant clothes were hung
So carefully with pride.

The ages of the children could
So readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed
You'd know how much they'd grown.

It also told when illness struck,
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung.
It said, "Gone on vacation now"
When lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged
With not an inch to spare.

New folks in town were scorned upon
If wash was dingy gray,
As neighbors raised their brows,
And looked disgustedly away.

But clotheslines now are of the past
For dryers make work less.
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess.

I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line!
~ Marilyn K. Walker
***

Happy Monday!  
I love that I'm hanging out with you today.  :)  
I certainly don't ever want my line to "disappear" if it don't have to.

7 comments:

  1. Cute poem.. we got the neighbors to save on their clothing bill.. by hanging our towels and sheets, only.. We do everything else in our bathtub for handwash.. on a drying rack, like the Amish sell.. and (used one in college too) and in a spare closet for larger clothes and Ralph hangs his downstairs.. :-) Privacy of all your clothing.. and also allergens a concern... I LOVE the feel of towels from the dryer best.. but it feels good to save on cost and energy.. this time of year.. Winter, is the dryer on towels and sheets only.. Clothing is always hung. :-) to make it last longer. :-)
    Thanks for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i enjoy that I'm hanging out with you today too:)

    Our neighbor came to visit the other day. My line was full.

    When he pulled up he mentioned that he always knows we are home when he sees the clothes on the line.

    What a wonderful poem. And so very true!

    I miss this way of life and I suppose this is why i cling to the old ways so much.

    Thinking of you today with your little clothes on the line;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a dryer so my clothes are always on the line. Outside in the summer, in the basement in the winter. It saves on energy too. Plus they smell so good when they come in from the fresh air and sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is NOTHING that smells better than clothes hung on the line! I grew up with clothes drying that way and it gives me such wonderful memories. I still hang clothes on the line every day that I can, it brings me such peace (and a few moments of quiet:)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this poem- Facebook had a article on "How to hang your clothes on the clothesline" and I added this poem to the post.

    Enjoy your blog, will be back!

    Linda
    http://bestoflongislandandcentralflorida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...