Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Comfort Food :: Apease Cake

. ... .... ... ... .. . . .. .. .. .. .. .. . ... ... ... ... .. .. . .


As promised, here is at least one of the recipes I said I was going to be sharing with you...
Apease/Apee Cake, or Hard Tack, as some refer it as 
 At least, that is what my husband knows it to be called - hard tack.
This {old recipe}cake is such a fond memory for me.  Mostly eaten for breakfast, my Mother would make this cake pretty often in our home while growing up.  You can see, by the look on my daughter's face and her near empty plate - that -  it's pretty good!  :)


I guess, I'll be making this more often now, too.
Of course!  I say it goes down best with coffee or milk.  Your choice. Smile!

***

Apease Cake
4 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar (or, 1 cup brown and 1 cup granulated)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup oil
1 cup milk
Mix dry ingredients, then add oil and milk.  Mix well.  Spread in 3 7" or 8" greased pans.  Bake at 350* for 30-40 minutes.  Sprinkle granulated sugar and cinnamon on top before baking.

Enjoy!

The winner of the Mugs & Muffins GIVEAWAY will be announced sometime on Friday - so, you still have time to enter!  This Giveaway ends tonight at 10:00 pm, EST.

I just want to say, here, quickly, what a joy to see (and hear from!) many new faces this time over on my last Mugs & Muffins post.  Thank you!  I really  have enjoyed hearing from you - and now I have some new "friends" to call my own..too!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you Bevy for another great recipe to try! I know one of the things I'll be doing this weekend...BAKING. YAY!!!! Hope you have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.My son and his family will be coming for dinner and also my parents. Looking forward to having a great day!!! Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bevy, this looks yummy.... can I ask why is it called hard tack? And your daughter is so beautiful... Have a wonderful Thanksgiving......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Connie, I have no idea (to answer your question) because I just now Googled it and it really isn't the same recipe/idea. Other then the fact that this cake is naturally a drier cake and that it holds up well... which is another reason it will go down better dunked in coffee or milk, etc. ;) So - the theory and necessity of it - back in the day - is why this recipe is an "oldie but goodie".

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bevy... I thought maybe it was a crunchy cake... but it looks moist and delicious on your daughters plate... and I love milk with cake anyway... Have a wonderful day...

      Delete
  3. Bevy, I made a new "friend" as well because of your Mugs and Muffins post...Faye Henry.:) What a delight she is! Thank you for the introduction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this recipe looks good according to the photo
    of your precious daughter who looks to be loving every bite
    of it! I wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to you and your precious
    family. I hope you have a truly blessed day! Your blog is always
    so encouraging...I just love visiting here....a quiet place amongst
    all the noise out there in blog land!
    God bless, Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my that looks and sounds delish ! Lovely photo of your daughter eating it all up ! Thanks for sharing the recipe I will have to give this a go for sure ! Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bevy! I made 3 7" Hard Tacks the other day!! I had gotten the recipe and 7" redware pans from my mother-in-law. My father-in-law had told her she had to learn how to make it herself when they started charging 12 cents apiece for them! That was waaaay back in the day! Your recipe is very close to the one I use, except mine calls for 1 cup of butter or margarine, no salt, and 1 cup of buttermilk. They're baked at 300 for 45 minutes, then you turn off the oven and leave them in for 1 hour and cannot open the door! And since her recipe is Sellersville Dutch, we would NEVER put cinnamon sugar on top! That's Telford Dutch! Hehe!! We just leave them plain. But they're soooo good dunked in coffee. Another way she showed me to make them was to bake them in mini muffin pans~~you can get 6 dozen of them from the same recipe and you get more crunchy goodness on the edges! Those are baked for 30 minutes, then immediately taken out of the oven. Thanks for sharing your recipe and pictures. Enjoy your treat and have a Blessed Thanksgiving!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. simple enough. right!

    copied this one and look forward to trying it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...