Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, December 13, 2013

{yuletide carols} The Friendly Beasts

. ... . .. .. ... .. ... .. .. ... .. .. ... ... .. .. .. .. .. .. .... 

"The Friendly Beasts" is a traditional Christmas song about the gifts that a donkey, cow, sheep, camel, and dove give to Jesus at the Nativity. The song seems to have originated in 12th-century France, set to the melody of the Latin song "Orientis Partibus". The current English words were written by Robert Davis (1881-1950) in the 1920s.  {source}

***
Jesus, our Brother, strong and good,
Was humbly born in a stable rude,
And the friendly beasts around Him stood,
Jesus, our Brother, strong and good.

“I,” said the donkey, shaggy and brown,
“I carried His mother uphill and down,
I carried His mother to Bethlehem town;
I,” said the donkey, shaggy and brown.

“I,” said the cow, all white and red,
“I gave Him my manger for His bed,
I gave Him hay to pillow His head;
I,” said the cow, all white and red.

“I,” said the sheep with curly horn,
“I gave Him my wool for His blanket warm,
He wore my coat on Christmas morn;
I,” said the sheep with curly horn.

“I,” said the dove, from the rafters high,
“I cooed Him to sleep that He should not cry,
We cooed Him to sleep, my mate and I;
I,” said the dove, from the rafters high.

Thus all the beasts, by some good spell,
In the stable dark were glad to tell
Of the gifts they gave Emmanuel,
The gifts they gave Emmanuel.

***
  My children have enjoyed "hearing" me sing this carol - this year, as it was new to them.  I certainly have fond memories of singing this carol each Christmas either in school or at church while in my growing up days.

I couldn't resist using this photo with this Christmas carol, either.

As well, we had a lovely snow storm the other day which reminded me of this particular snowfall, and more snow is headed our way tomorrow.  Anywhere from 5"-7"... (love snow days on Saturday's)
By the way, this photo was taken last winter.

6 comments:

  1. I must say I am not familiar with that song either...but, I love the words... The pic of the calves in the snow is just lovely...make a great one for your wall.... We have had some ice and sleet...no snow yet...I hope we get a good one after the kids get here on Christmas Eve... Have a great Friday and Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bevy, I love the words to this one I agree with Patty would make a beautiful picture for a wall... and I love the cows.... and Snow on Saturdays is a good thing... Enjoy... Keep em comin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned this song in elementary school. Back in the days when the Bible was read after the pledge of allegiance and religious songs were allowed to be sung. It's another of my favorites. Oh, who am I kidding. They are all my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to curl up with a cup of tea in your home this lovely 'snow day'. Your kiddos could take turns vying for my attention and the littlest would be in my lap (this always seems to be the scenario) and we would listen to their mama sing this lovely song. I've never heard it before and I am encouraged to do some searching. It's good to be back. I've missed you! :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely song, Bevy.. Your storm is headed our way..
    Have a great weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...