Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

{yuletide carols} We Break for Cookies!!

. ... .. .. .... .. .... .. .. .. ... ... . .. ... .. .. ... .. .. 
Of course, we can't go on without a cookie or two...especially when it comes to caroling. :)
Here are a few of my must-haves  each Christmas!


I've served these Toffee Bars several times over the past couple of weeks..
and with each time there was a request for the recipe.  I know why, too.  They are so yummy.  A soft and chewy toffee center, smack dab in the middle of a delectable shortbread cookie crust and a chocolate coating on top.
  Very simple to make, as well.

TOFFEE BARS
1/2 cup butter, plus 2 Tablespoons
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup flour
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp. vanilla
Chocolate Chips (semi-sweet are best!)

In a mixing bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), sugar and salt.  Stir in flour, mix. (Actually, I just cut the butter in to the flour - to make course crumbs..)  Remove and press into a (lightly greased) 9x13" or 7"x11" baking pan.  Bake at 350* for 15 minutes or until edges are browned.
In a saucepan, heat milk and 2 T. butter, just till bubbly.  Stir in 2 tsp. vanilla.  Pour over hot crust and return to oven for another 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and sprinkle (a handful or your preference) chocolate chips over the top.  Let them "melt" nicely before spreading over the bars.  **These can be stored in the fridge or freezer.  
***
A few other cookies on the platter today, are:






Serve any and all with a nice mug of Hot Chocolate, Coffee or Tea...
Stay warm!!

Oh the weather outside is frightful, But the fire is so delightful.  
And since we have no place to go.
 Let it Snow, 
Let it Snow,
 Let it Snow.

***
So, tell me!  What are a few of your must-haves??  
And - if you don't mind. Here's an idea! Go ahead and include your own quick and easy recipe, in the comments, and we'll call it a "Christmas Cookie Exchange" - while we're at it. :)

14 comments:

  1. My favorite Christmas cookie is Norwegian Wreaths. They are a sugar cookie type dough, flavored with orange rind, rolled into a rope, dipped in sugar and formed into a wreath shape. Where the ends meet it is decorated with red and green candied cherries. Not good for the diet, but oh so good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummo!! And, they sound so pretty, too!!

      Full recipe - Please?

      ha! I'm tempted to go back and edit, my post.. adding, "along with your favorite cookie -please include the recipe or link to it in your comment".

      Thanks for sharing and joining along here, Kathy! You're so sweet.

      Delete
  2. Hi Bevy!
    Its Melissa Schmidt. I want to try your Toffee Bars. The ingredients say 1/2 cup of butter but the directions say 1/3. Could you let me know which it is? Thanks & Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Bevy - these look heavenly! Thank you so much for sharing the recipes - I am going to make a batch of your Toffee Bars this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PERFECT!! I was looking to start some baking today!! Those toffee bars look great PLUS I have all the ingredients on hand!!! But wondering - do they freeze well?? (oh and I need to know the answer to the butter question (above) as well!!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, gals- for catching my error, there. I edited it and the correction and further clarification is there in red. Yes! these can be frozen... kept in the fridge, is fine too. They last awhile - ahem.. maybe not. You tell me if they'll hang around in your kitchen. :) Something tells me - they won't.

    Enjoy your baking day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Bevvy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cookie round up is delicious! Thanks for the recipes...I am definitely making a few for the neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!!! I am currently waiting for a new oven to arrive at my place. I have been without one for about 3 weeks. I so want to do some baking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All topped off with a hot cuppa tea hehe ! I haven't had toffee Bars in years . Wonderful post and photos ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those toffee bars sound wonderful. Can't wait to try them. Is there any toffee actually in them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous..
      thanks for coming by. To answer your question... the milk, butter and vanilla is what makes the toffee - especially after baking.
      Hope you enjoy!!

      Delete
  11. Ooooh, Bevy! I just pinned the Toffee Bars.
    Making them asap.
    If I had a can of sweetened condensed milk I'd be making them right this second!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay - so I'm in the middle of making your Toffee Bars as I'm typing this - just put the 'toffee' topping on and it's back in the over and so far I realize there are two major problems with this recipe!

    1. That I want to eat it at each step of the way - and thus I know can completely understand why these do not last long - and I'm worried we will be snowed in tomorrow and I may eat the whole pan and not share it with friends who have invited us for lunch!

    and 2. These are ridiculously easy to make - thus making problem number 1 that much MORE of a problem!


    My taste buds thank you!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...