Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas

. .... ... ... .. .. .. .... ... .. ... . .. ... .. .. ... .. .. .. 
Oh what a different sort of day - compared to yesterday.  The sun is shining as brightly as you can imagine - but it is COLD out there!!  That called-for cold snap sure came back around...

Another thing different about today is that I have a couple (well, one for sure!) of sick kiddo's home today.
It started with an eye infection, of sorts, for two of my children.  One had a sore throat and complained of an ear ache - the other has been throwing up with it all - all through the night.

Needless to say the last two nights have been a rough go of it.  NOT a lot of sleep for both my husband and I last night.  But... God gives grace.  Obviously, we have what we need(ed).
And of course - the washer and dryer are a runnin'... full speed ahead.

***
I thought I would share with you a recipe today.
Keep it simple.


1/2 cup chopped onion
4 T. butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. chicken bouillon
1 cup sour cream, room temperature
3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
1 can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp chili powder, or more to taste
10-12 flour tortillas

In saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.  Stir in flour and add chicken broth and bouillon.  Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
(OR ::  If you're like me and just happen to have a can of  Hatch - Green Chili Enchilada Sauce (Medium heat) - simply because your looking for a can of green chilies in your cabinet and all you is find is the enchilada sauce - then, by all means improvise.  So -instead of doing the flour I just added this can of sauce to the sauteed onion and added a bit of the chicken broth , maybe one cup worth... let that cook through, removed from heat and then added the sour cream.)

In large bowl combine 1 cup sauce, the chicken, the beans, 1 cup of cheese, chilies and chili powder.  (Of course - I didn't add the green chilies because mine were already part of the sauce..)  Mix well.

Fill each tortilla with equal portions of chicken and bean mixture..  Roll up and arrange in greased 9"x 13"  baking pan.  Spoon remaining sauce over tortillas.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake at 350* for 25 minutes.

Serve with a nice side salad.  And a bottle of your favorite Hot Sauce.**

**My kids thought it was already too spicy.  I thought it was okay - perhaps just right.  My husband - said "NO WAY!" it wasn't near hot enough.
It was then that I remembered that I had forgotten to add the Chili powder the recipe called for.  Oops!

**
I not so sure what will be on the menu for dinner tonight...

5 comments:

  1. So sorry the kids are sick! I know, for me at least, that is the worst! No sleep, worry and vomit... UGH! Feel sorry for all of you!

    LOVE you lots,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the babes will be better soon. Thanks for posting the recipe~~it looks delicious and I've already printed it out. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Prayers your way for quick healing and rest... the recipe looks yummy... will be adding this to my collection... take care...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...this is comfort food at its finest. And...look at that photo! Makes me want to just come on over for dinner. Perhaps I will just have to make this for my family. And...I tried your cornbread recipe...dear me...SO good!! I plan to link back to you when I post about that yummy stuff. So sorry your kiddos are sick...so not fun! Praying for you and yours today. Hugs to you! Camille

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about the sickness in your house.... it seems to be rampant right now! I'm praying for health to return quickly for all of you!
    Your recipe looks yummy! Such comfort food! I have a package for you!!! It has been sitting on my counter for several weeks! I have been pretty much home bound with all the snow and below zero temps. I will try to mail it out to you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...