Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Deep Winter

.. .... ... .. ... ... ... ... .. ... ... ... ... ... ... .. .... .
Winter is the season in which people try to keep the house as warm as it was in the summer, when they complained about the heat.
~Author Unknown
** This quote made me smile, a little..
***
Travelling along a few country back roads, one early morning, I couldn't help but notice the trailing wisps of chimney smoke at every glance.  House upon house seemed to be chugging away, producing a warmth that remained nestled deep inside.  I was sure of it.
It was cold - outdoors.
Those smoke-clouds hung low and white in that there cold air.
It was as if a wispy canopy had settled in and around the community.

Kinda neat and cozy, I thought to myself.  One doesn't see this every day.  It told me that someone was home.  There was "life" happening in each of those homes.   There was a fire burning somewhere...
It was alive and warm.  Burning bright.

I had to wonder, to myself.  When you say "deep winter", is it the cold(er) temperatures that causes us to say "we're in the deep of winter" or is that an indicated date on the calendar?  A date that says we're beyond or near the end of... and so we hunker down and ride out the remaining days of the winter season.

***
As I pondered the above there for a minute...I realized there is yet another sense of "deep winter" that maybe should be alluded to.
This is that one Season of the Heart that doesn't always rise to the surface.  It's a place that (can) stays cold.  Hard. Dismal.  Recluse.
I don't know if you're someone who can get "lost" in the deep winter blues or not?
I know of a few souls who can...

I have already, somewhat; not too badly.

But, let me tell you.  Yesterday was one of those days.  Not bad... but just enough.
My heart was heavy.  And, sad.
(It wasn't even a literal cold day.  It was probably one of the warmer days we've had in awhile. I even went outside with the girls for awhile - enjoying the "warmer" weather.)

Still.  I spent a lot of time - reflecting on the deep, deep love of Jesus.

I needed to.

He is my ALL in all.

You know what song/hymn came to mind?

Does Jesus Care.  

This is the hymn that came flooding over me...

Oh, Yes He cares, I know He cares. 
 His heart is touched with my grief.  
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary, 
I know my Saviour cares.  
He cares.
***
That said,  I HOPE my chimney, today,  is producing some evidence of the life, the warmth, the love of my Saviour.

You know what I'm saying?


6 comments:

  1. Yes! May His love warm your heart;).
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the quote made me giggle, too






    Yes, the quote made me giggle, too!
    Don't ever stop learning about His love for you. He cares!!!


    ReplyDelete
  3. *tear* That hymn verse made me well. I needed this Bevy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can picture the smoke puffing out of those chimneys on your drive. Your photo does a fine job of telling that story:-)

    When I think of "deep winter", I think of both cold and smack dab in the middle of the winter season. What a nice thing to ponder today to help us through the deep of winter and over that hump of cabin fever.

    I'm trying hard to take advantage of those deep winter days when we can't get outside. By crocheting or knitting and baking and all the things inside that soon enough won't be able to keep us inside to do.

    I can tell you are too:-)

    Happy Wednesday~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful thoughts, Bevy. Yesterday was my sad day...I hear you on what you are saying here. And, yes...the best remedy is to remind ourselves of the LORD!! Oh, how precious HE is! Filling our minds and hearts with Truth is the only way forward. Hugs to you! Camille

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautifully written post, Bevy. The deep of winter is probably one of my favorite times of the year because of it giving me the permission to stay inside and enjoy life inside our home a bit deeper.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...