Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Get Out Of The Van!

. ... .. .. .. .. ... ... ... .. ... ... ... .... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. 
Recently, I heard a sermon illustration that I want to relay to you - simply because it struck a cord with me.  I'd imagine this could relate to some of you as well.

The Pastor, sharing this illustration, was talking about himself.

He went on to say that as a young teenager he had gone through a season of where they would go somewhere as a family - say, to a family reunion or something - and he would choose, rather, to spend 6,7,8 hours  -alone!-out in the van rather than participate with the family gathering.  He said, he can't believe it to this day - how or why his parents didn't "kill him".

He humbly recounted, "This all came to a head - one summer- when our family decided to go on a trip out West!  My parents had saved and saved to make this a memorable family vacation - and yet, sad to say.  
I missed over 80% of our stops because I had stayed in the van."

The Pastor went on..


"We were at the Grand Tetons.  We parked.  And we only had to walk maybe 200 yards down around some trees, to where you could take in a glorious view...the most glorious view.  But you know what?  To this day - I actually never saw the Grand Tetons, the way my family did. They all got to take in this breathtaking grandeur, up close and personal, as up close and personal as that could be, but not me!  
Because, I stayed in the van."

***
Isn't that so true of us?
We miss out on ALL that God has for us...
Because we simply stay in the van.

{pause, for effect}

GET OUT OF THE VAN!
***
Here are the verses from Ephesians 3:16-21... that were shared that day!

16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Interestingly enough for me.  Back in December, when I began the series of carols, talking about preparing...

I started with these very verses (in bold print) as a prayer of mine.  And, as a prayer for you!  

God's love is so vast, and deep, and rich, and true!  It's more than we can ask or think...we can't even wrap our minds around it and yet we can fully know this love.  We can be filled to the fullest measure of this..

It's not that I would love HIM more - but that I would know all the more the depth, richness, and fullness of His LOVE for me!

I thought it was neat that now at the end of the yuletide season, and it the beginning of a very New Year ~  I'm hearing the very same thing.  Okay...I'm getting it.  The Lord certainly has my attention.  But, I need to participate.  I simply need to get out of the van!
***

Don't Forget:  Tomorrow is the last day to enter the Mugs & Muffins Giveaway!!
Please do.  I would love to hear your thoughts and comments.

3 comments:

  1. Oh...how I love this, Bevy! It is the kind of illustration that will stick with me for a very long time. As you know, I spent the month of December away from electronics...I feel as if I've been on vacation and I never left home. The reason is because of the time spent with Jesus...I remember one day being in complete shock when I looked at the clock and realized I'd been in His presence for over 3 hours! And that isn't even touching the hem of the garment. I also remember how I was sitting there pondering that...because it became "typical" and the thought came to me..."which is going to profit me more...3 hours with Him or 3 hours at the computer"...He has SO much more for us if we will just "get out of the van"...live in the moment...and intentionally come before His presence. Thank you for the sweet note you left for me over at the blog last month. I've looked over your posts for the month of December and enjoyed so much how you highlighted the different Christmas hymns and carols. YOU are a BLESSING! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Afternoon Bevy, So loved this... reminds me of my brother... (when he was a teen)... lol... but isnt this so true, that so many CHOOSE not to Get out of the Van... Even before I was a Christian, I would drive down the same road, with hubby and kids grumbly about the same path, and I always tried to get them to look and see if they could find something different... because my mom and dad taught me to be aware because you never know what or who God will place there for us to see, learn... I loved this... brought back memories when I was a child traveling out west with my parents... I am blessed to have these memories of such grand trips... especially now that my dad is elderly and my mom is in heaven... Smiling today for sure... God Bless you Friend... and yes to start and end your carol season with the same words , Wow God is working for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...the story of your pastor just cracked me up!!!!!!!!I I know I don't want to be in the van ...I want to be out and experience all that God has in store for me. I want His love for me...the love that our minds can't even comprehend. What a way to start the new year. I agree with you Bevy...let's all get out of the van!!!!!!!!!!! Melanie P.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...