Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Jewish Apple Cake

. .. ... .. ... .. .. .. ... .. ... ... ... ... .. ... .. .. .. . ..

I just thought I would pass on a recipe that spells nothing but down-home comfort.  This is a recipe I remember my Grammy making a lot. And since this is the month of her birthday... I thought I would celebrate her life by sharing this cake-memory- recipe, with you today.

Jewish Apple Cake

3-5 large apples, peeled and sliced
3 T. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
-- Sprinkle on apples and set aside-- 
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup orange juice **
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup oil
4 eggs
3 tsp. baking powder

Mix by hand.  Put 1/2 batter in a 9"x 13" pan or tube pan (I used a spring-form bundt pan) followed by half the apples.  Repeat.  Bake at 350* - 375* approximately 50-55 minutes until done.  I baked mine even a little longer.  This cake is a hard one to test done, and not get too dark.  So, keep both an eye and a nose to this one. :)
I will always grease and sugar my baking pans.

** The orange juice this recipe calls for does not say concentrate.  However, I like to use 1/4 cup OJ Concentrate (not the ready made juice) to give it a much more pungent flavor.

***
My grandparents made a lot of things with apples. All the time!
It's no wonder for the fact that they owned and maintained a small (hobby!) orchard.

Oh, the memories I hold dear to my heart...of that orchard and all it's yummy goodness that came out of there.

When I made this cake, this past week.  My family couldn't get enough of it.
My kids thought it was "the best!" snack, ever..
***
This cake is served up nice with a dollop of freshly whipped cream, 
creamy vanilla yogurt 
or of course, Ice Cream!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Bev, for this recipe. Dana sometimes requests "Jewish Apple Cake" and I have never found a recipe that "cuts" it for him. Thanks to you, I now have one! I will make this for him and I know he will love it and say "now THAT'S a Jewish Apple cake." ;) Also loved the background to the recipe and the celebrating of Grammy and Grandpa.... I think I now understand better why Dana likes Jewish Apple Cake. Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! It's so good to hear from you - here, Regina! My privilege to share this with ya'll. :)

      Yes! I can remember this and so many other "goodies" that came from that orchard. As well, many a memory of the cousins playing in that there orchard. Ask Dana (or, Lisa) about taking us kids out on snipe hunts. OR having crab-apple wars...;)

      Oh boy! :)

      As for where the recipe is from. If you ever can get your hands on a "Franconia Culinary" cookbook - you'll find even more "familiar" recipes there, I'm sure. And even some listed from/by relatives, etc. (ie; Abe & Elsie W., which would be Grammy's oldest sister, etc.) The cookbook is a thick, RED, 3 ring binder style..

      Let me know if you ever want us to get you one. They're sold locally at our Grocery store...
      anyway.

      I'm glad I could share today!

      Is your family doing well?

      Delete
  2. Dear Bevy, We have a real fondness for any dessert made with apples!
    This looks very comforting and homey. Yummy. thanks so much for sharing this recipe and sharing a bit about your family. My grandparents passed away when I was quite young and I wish I could have had more time with them My grandma was in a wheelchair and my grandpa took such lovely care of her. So patient and gentle. And she was my inspiration for all things handmade and homemade. She crafted and baked and sewed her heart out from her wheelchair.
    Loved my time here catching up with you.
    Thinking sweet thoughts of you today.
    Love, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, I'm expecting to taste a "real" Jewish Apple Cake soon! All these years Regina would try different recipes, but none of them were quite right. But now, thanks to your post, I think we have it.
    I remember the orchard well... here is a link to a post that has a bit of the orchard in one of the pics. http://www.abundantnature.com/2012/12/a-look-back.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I could not help but to look closely at the crust on the cake.. it looks so good! I love that type of cake.. outside golden and yummy.. inside soft and yummy...great with a cup of coffee.. I am determined to loose 50 lbs this year...so.. no cake for me.. but this is definitely a recipe worth keeping for a treat... Have a great week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty - I don't know if you'll ever see this reply or not... but I like to grease and sugar my pans (when baking) as this is how it gets to looking this way.

      Delete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...