Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Taco Seasoning & more

. ... ... ... .... .. ..... .. ... ..... ... .. . .. ... .. .. .. .
I'm sure most of you, reading here, have your own favorite go-to Taco Seasoning.  Am I right?  Well, if not, I hope you do not mind that I'm going to share with you an added-to recipe (meaning I changed up my "original" recipe).  This recipe today is one that I've adapted from two different sources.
One of those sources is my original "go-to" recipe; one that I shared a different time...HERE!
 Maybe you'll give this *new one* a try and never go back to either yours or a store-brand seasoning again. In fact, I think you'll thank me..
 I don't know.


So as I've alluded, I recently I found a second homemade recipe that sounded good and I wanted to give it a try.  But when I went to pull all of the ingredients I realized I didn't have enough of everything, on hand, that it called for.  So I took a little from my "old" recipe and some ingredients  from this "new one" and made up a whole New Other Recipe.
I like it so much better - that's why I'm sharing it with you today.

Bevy's Taco Seasoning
1/4 cup instant minced onion
3 T. chili powder
2 T. ground cumin
1 T. salt
1 T. garlic salt
1 T. paprika
1 T. crushed hot red pepper flakes
1 T. dried, minced garlic
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. granulated sugar
2 tsp. oregano, crushed fine


Combine and mix all ingredients.  Divide into equal portions and place in small envelopes or wrap.  Or, keep in jar like I have here.


Use 1-2 T. of seasoning mix per pound of meat (per taste).  You can add 1 T. of ketchup and 1/2 cup water to mix to bring to simmer.  Cook uncovered until water has evaporated.

**Tonight's dinner menu may or may not include the use of this Taco Seasoning.  I'm still drumming up a menu in my mind. :)  I'm thinking either Soft Tacos with Chicken & Black Beans or Deep Dish Taco Squares (made with chicken, instead of beef.)

***
And, now for a couple of miscellaneous items:

Let's start with Scrapple.

So it sounds like a couple of you, my dear readers, were lost on what I was talking about when I mentioned Scrapple yesterday.  I'm contemplating doing a post on it myself but in the meantime I'm going to forward you a link to another blog who's family is really, really serious - year after year - in their butchering process.
Take a look at this:  HOME JOYS :: Hog Butchering
These folks have it down.
Many hands make light work!
~~~
Something else is *NEW* on my blog.
I'm not sure if you noticed it or not...
By recent request, I've added the feature to receive my blog posts straight into your inbox.
Just sign up by entering your email address, on my sidebar, there on the left.

As usual, thanks for reading!
I greatly appreciate it.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bevy, Don't ya love when ya can make homemade mixes by the spices in the cupboard... I do... and I made Taco seasoning a while back and keep it in a jar as well... I usually take the 2 tbsp. of seasoning and add about 2 or three tbsp. water and let sit... I found with mine that the seasoning was activated and gave more flavor compared if I didn't add it to water... loved your recipe and I will try it as well... Thanks... and Scrapple? hum... have to think about this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! Bevy in my mailbox! Love that new feature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think with scrapple you either love it or hate it. My sister loves it, I hate it. But it would make an interesting post for those who don't know what it is. We always ate ours fried with ketchup to dip it into on the side growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making mixes like this from scratch! So glad you do too!
    Have a wonderful weekend, Bevy!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still confused on the scrapple?!! I followed the link but they didn't really explain what it was/is! I guess I'll just come visit and you can make me some! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bevy, I look forward to trying your new and improved recipe! :) Thank you for sharing it on our link up. I was excited to see you there :) Will be pinning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...