Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, May 26, 2014

The Kitchen is Ours - feed the boys!

. ... .. ... ... .. .. .... .. ... .. .. .. .. ..... .. ...... .. .

Happy Monday!
Memorial Day ~ 2014!

If you know me.  And, know me well... I'm a lover of poetry, stories and quotes.  I found an old story that I would love to share with you, today.

::The White House Kitchen in 1862::


     Both the steward and the cook, known as Peter, had remonstrated with "Master Tad" upon bringing into the kitchen of the White House "such squads of poor, dirty, hungry street urchins to be fed," and at last Peter said that Mrs Lincoln must be told.
     Tad flew into a rage, ran upstairs to see his mother himself, and on finding her out, searched the place for his busy father.
     Meanwhile, the small objects of his charity waited at the lower door - for Peter had absolutely refused to let them "step inside."
     The indignant boy spied his father just crossing the yard with his head bowed, eyes to the ground, talking earnestly to Mr. Seward as they walked to the Department of State together.  He cried out to him at once: --
"Father, father!  Can't I bring those poor, cold, hungry boys home with me whenever I want to?  Isn't it our kitchen?"
     By this time Tad had his father by the hand, who stopped to listen to the frantic appeal.  "Can't I give them a good warm dinner today, say?  They are just as hungry as bears, and two of `em are boys of a soldier, too! -- and father, I'm going to discharge Peter this minute if he don't get out the meat and chickens and pies and all the things we had left yesterday.  Say, mayn't I?  Isn't it our kitchen, father?"
     Secretary Seward was shaking with laughter.  Mr. Lincoln turned to him with a twinkle.  "Seward, advise with me.  This case requires diplomacy."
     Mr. Seward patted Tad on the back and said he must be careful not to run the government into debt, and the President took Tad's little brown hands in his own big one, and with a droll smile bid him to "run along home and feed the boys," and added:  "Tell Peter that you  are really required to obey the Bible by getting in the maimed and the blind, and that he must be a better Christian than he is!"
     In less than an hour, Mr. Seward said they passed through the yard on their way to the Cabinet meeting, no less than ten small boys were sitting with with Tad on the lower steps, cracking nuts and have a "state dinner."
     Mr. Lincoln remarked that the "kitchen was ours." 
~ From Wide Awake, a selection taken from Heart Throbs

Sometimes its the little things or moments lived, that behind the scenes, matter's most and are most remembered.  These make a lasting difference and the deepest impression.
Don't you wonder about these "dirty urchins?"

Just something to ponder... 

***
To any new friends, reading here today, Welcome!  Let me know you've stopped by.  I would love to hear from you.  I thank you for reading!

We have another busy week ahead, here in our home!
It's the week of my son's birthday -as a matter of fact, he'll be seven!!  So, we have family coming overnight, from out of state...
In turn, that means planning a special Birthday Meal and baking of cake. :)  Complete with specifics...

As well, we have babysitting commitments, to meetings, school events, to scout stuff...with laundry and life in the middle.

Looking forward to spending the afternoon, later today, with "new friends", from church, for a picnic!!  I was asked to bring along a patriotic dessert, of sorts.  I chose a Rhubarb Cheesecake Dessert...
Not exactly sure how that classifies as patriotic, but sometimes you work with what you have on hand.

May God bless you, and yours - this lovely Memorial Day!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bevy,
    Been gone but back now.
    Loved the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved seeing you "visit" here again. I know you've had a lot on your plate... busy family situations. Glad to know all is "well and back to norm".

      Thanks for coming by, Christine! and yes! isn't this story something else? I read it aloud to Scott and kids at the lunch table yesterday - and by golly, if I didn't see a tear in my hubby's eye and hear a chuckle escape his lips... while I ended reading with a lump in my throat. It certainly made me think...ponder... the effect this said action of this young man upon his young friends... and the ripple effect it most likely played out in their own futures..

      Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
  2. Loved the story and your photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bevy, I loved the story! It's one that brings both tears and a smile. :) A busy week, indeed! Happy Birthday that sweet seven year old this week! Will you share pictures of the cake? Rhubarb cheesecake sounds amazing...and it just so happens I have rhubarb ready to be picked.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...