Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Helplessness is a good thing... but there is something even better.

. .. .. ... ... .. .... .. .... . ... ... ... .. ... .. ... .. . .

Prayer is an expression of who we are... We are a living incompleteness.
We are a gap, an emptiness that calls for fulfillment.  

~ Thomas Merton, Trappist monk

Are you good at helplessness?

My kids sure have that down - some days.  Quite well, I might add.

For instance.
When my near six year old, willingly picks up my near three year old (who just so happens to weigh pretty close to the weight of her older sister); toting her across the room, etc.   But, for whatever reason, she simply cannot carry her own pair of shoes upstairs (cause they're too heavy...?)
or, help bring in a small bag; an easy bag, of groceries...that which practically weighs the weight of air!

I say, where there is a will there is a way.

I love this next quote!  it's so, so true...
Where the heart is willing it will find a thousand ways, but where it is unwilling it will find a thousand excuses.  ~Anonymous
And, I sigh.  I wish I had the heart of Christ in these moments and give grace the same way He does.
Except that I don't.  I encourage independence and self-sufficiency.  And, I get ruffled when that doesn't happen when and as I expect.  Other times... my daughters self-sufficient independence is too great for me to handle.  And - I beg her to "let me help"..

The thing is.  In prayer.  Jesus wants our helplessness to be our reality. This is why prayer works. We need HIM!  We rely on HIM.  He is able - where we are not.

That is completely opposite of what I said earlier - of what my expectations are of my kids, when I want them to not act so helpless.
***
Oh, I'm so enjoying reading this book right now...

Pardon me, for showing you this photo - again!  It's just where I'm at..

***

I'll leave you with this encouraging Scripture from 2 Corinthians 12:9
My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

I don't know about you - but, today, I'm feeling helpless...and helplessness is a good thing.
However, a helpless-dependence (on Jesus) is even better.

Amen?

4 comments:

  1. Amen! I so enjoyed reading here today, Bevy! Reading about your daughter's helplessness when it comes to carrying her shoes upstairs brought back lots of memories from when our kids were little. ~sigh~ I have that book in my bookcase! I must get it out and read it!

    Oh...and I wanted to be sure and tell you that while I was at my daughter's last week I made them your Rhubarb Cream Delight! They LOVED it! Seemed like something you would want to know. ~wink~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodie - I'm glad that the Rhubarb dessert was a hit. I think I found it in a taste of home somewhere...

      Yes!! You must pull this book out and off your bookshelf! (ha!) I would love to hear what you think of it... I can stop being refreshed each time I open it up. I haven't gotten very far in it - because I keep reading and rereading; soaking it all up!

      Delete
  2. This posted is just what I needed today. I need to share it with my daughter!
    Helplessness is overpowering at times, when I let it.
    You have "shaken" me to look UP, not in the mirror.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaning into my Savior like never before! Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...