Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Cucumber Appetizers

. . ... .. ... ... .. .. ... ... ... .. . .. . ... ... . .... .. . . .. .
I know I found this recipe suggestion, for Cucumber Appetizers, on Pinterest - so the credit idea is not my own.  And so, with that... I am grateful to someone else's ingenuity!  This is probably one of the greatest ideas out there... for easy entertaining.

Especially in the good ole summer time!

If you have a patch of cucumber that has decided to take over the garden or you've been gifted a bunch - you're probably looking for a few more ideas of what to do with these crunchy buggers!  For us, for me, I can only do up so many batches of pickles (we're picky about what kinds we like, as it is!) and batches of relish... if you know what I mean?

The photo shows these cucumber appetizers put together with a simple Chicken Salad.  


The steps of instruction are pretty self-explanatory!  But, I'll tell you anyway.
You wash your cucs and then peel one strip - several times around the cucumber - if you'd like.  This is just for pretty!
Then you cut your cucumber into closely the same 1" thick sliced chunks.  You'll most likely get 4-6 appetizers out of one cucumber persay.
Next you take a Strawberry huller or similar tool and scoop out the center of the cucumber - the seeds and pulp - but NOT GOING ALL THE WAY THROUGH.  You want to leave a solid bottom.
Fill with your favorite filling and keep chilled until ready to serve.
You can garnish with a few bits of grated carrot or toasted Pumpkin seeds, etc.  
Whatever you want to do!!  This is for your creativity!!  And there is a ton of "competition" out there as there are some really, really creative people out there!!


They're also great with a nice Tuna Salad or a Red Pepper Hummus.  I've had both, or all three of, these now, if you count the chicken salad... and each way gives this appetizer its own twist.  I can't decide if I like the hummus or the tuna better.

Get creative!  Like this..


The kids and I decided to try cucumber with peanut butter and raisins today.  It really wasn't that bad.  Not a lot to write home about - but the kids loved them... and who doesn't love peanut butter on everything? But, I think next time it'll be with a crunchy peanut butter.. for my taste preference!

The kids, they love their cucumbers just as much... so it paired way better than I ever expected.  I was glad nothing went to waste...for our trial today!

Give it a try and let us know what you think!

***
My next attempt might or will include some sort of cheese and or ranch-y something or another...

What is your favorite way to use up cucumber for fresh eating or pickling?

14 comments:

  1. Yummy.... I love Cucumbers... and so many ideas running thru my head.... hummus, I have never tried that... what is it like? Anyway, its good to see the kiddo's involved... fun and healthy.... Bless you sweet friend... XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Connie! I've been thinking about you...

      You haven't tried hummus before? It's sort of a specialty item - perhaps. Great with pita chips, etc. If you like chick peas...it's basically that ground up/processed. There are great recipes to make it yourself but just as easy to buy. I would say a little goes a long way... and it's not something (I don't think) that spoils too fast. Though, I could be wrong. Whenever I get my hands on some - it doesn't usually last too long, at our house. It's nice to put out at a gathering with veggies and crackers and cheese... something different!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bevy, I have been really busy with my Dad... he was in the hospital and now he is home ... Keep us in your prayers... Hummus... I have seen it in stores but never tried it... now my curiosity is peaked... gonna have to try some... I have tried Pesto and did not like it.. but then again, there are many versions of it... Thanks for explaning... take care

      Delete
  2. These look really good. I was just thinking I needed some ideas for cucumbers, because mine are not too far from hitting bumper crop. Great idea. I enjoyed your "Day Book Journal", and really enjoy your blog Bevy. Hope you get completely healed from the Lyme disease. My son got it a few years ago. Its not nice. I would love to share a tea cozy for your give away, so just let me know when you want to
    do it, and what details I need to know about. Have a great week.
    Many Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam. I'll email you - if that is okay? - regarding the details about that tea cozy! :)

      Delete
  3. This is a great way to serving fillings without using bread! I try not to eat a lot of bread. Great substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herbed cream cheese.... Just saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to do this with a nice feta... ??? that's what I'm thinking...

      Delete
  5. I love hummus!! I make my own all the time!! It's super easy and tastes worlds better then anything you buy!! (But isn't that the case with most homemade goods!! ;). Plus I don't really like chick peas but find them in hummus to be quite tasty! I love this cucumber "recipe"! Thanks for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like hummus, too. Especially Red Pepper Hummus or there is another one with a ton of spices... I can't remember the exact name of it. Anyway. I have never attempted to make my own. Perhaps a recipe (or better yet, a blog post and link) shared here for your recipe. I think it would be fun to try making since I do have a can of chickpeas in the cabinet. I will say - I have tasted someone's homemade version once and it was very bland. I'm curious to know what all it is that goes into a good hummus.
      The challenge is on Kaitlin... :) or to anybody else for that matter.. Can't wait to hear from ya!

      Delete
  6. I like this idea (am going to pin it)! We are big cucumber eaters and growers over here. We put them in all our tossed salads and prepare lots of pickles. But the concept of an appetizer is excellent :) Thank you for sharing this with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! I always enjoy my visits here :)

    P.S. In response to the comment you left last week, feel free to leave a post from any day on the link up! You could even share older posts that pertain as long as you keep changing them up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, Beverly! Really, I can't wait to do this. My daughter absolutely adores cucumbers, more than any person I have ever known in my 44 years on this earth! This year I think I might have a bumper crop (Lord willing and the bees keep pollinating) after a few years of trying and this idea will be perfect. I can already see us doing this for lunch with chicken salad and tuna salad.

    And hummus, oh my! We all love hummus here, though I usually buy mine premade. I have found a new (to me) flavor, Spinach and Artichoke, which is blended with the chickpeas and its delicious. Right now, that's the only kind my son will eat!

    Oh, and what Kristy said about the herbed cream cheese and you suggested the Feta, wow!

    Thanks for some wonderful new meal ideas!

    Love ya
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...