Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, August 11, 2014

In and Out of Practice

... .. .. ... ... .. .. .. ... .... ... ..... .. .. .. ... .. .. .. .. .. ..
I felt a little out of practice, with hospitality!  
There is hospitality and then there is extending hospitality.  Both are something I LOVE to do.  Something we LOVE to do, as a couple, in our home.  Both are what we are called to practice!  And, as you keep reading... this is something that my husband does way better at than I.

Because...
For the past two weekends.  On Sunday's   My husband... he did the inviting!
He initiated... and for one of those times...it was a family of six!  Completely spontaneous!!!    The other time - a family of four, whom I did not know - but he and our son both knew, from Scouts!!  What an opportunity!!

I felt a little out of practice.  A little out of sorts.  Spastic!  My nerves were rattled... :)

When life and it's busyness and schedules overrule our calendar and already, we feel like we can hardly stay on top... then, to have this thrown my way??
My hubby loves to tease.  "You wanted a man, just like your dad!".  Yes,it's true! - my father would do this on occasion to my Mom (even when they had nine children of their own!) ... and my husband's right!  I did want this.  I love it that my husband also has a heart for people and "wanting to have them in our home".


Well, needless to say.
I rose to the challenge.
I needed to.
Because folks were coming to our house in less than "two hours!" 
Here's my mantra:  My response makes or breaks a situation.

The thing is...
I felt my husband's care to come alongside, in both instances, and pitch in...
prepping the coffee...
setting the table
arranging the room so as to fit everyone in "better"..
offering to peel potatoes..
running the bissell over the carpets
Whatever else I needed - he was there!  By my side.

Was my house clean?  Tidy, perhaps... but not clean, clean!

Tidy enough?  Perhaps not that either.
But...
If I would have made a scene and had him cancel the plans, his plans... because I wasn't mentally prepared or whathaveyou.  We would have missed out such a blessing!

Perhaps this is a stretch...here.  And, believe me - I am not boasting when I say this.
But, part of me wonders if this isn't my husband's unspoken way of taking this verse to heart.

Her husband has full confidence in her...Proverbs 31:11

I give the Lord praise - that we can work together, as a team, and make others (hopefully!) feel at home... and be at peace.  

What are a few practical ways - I can handle these surprises?  Ways to keep, or stay in practice..?
I have learned that it's okay to keep it simple.
To keep a few "go-to" recipes in the back pocket, is smart, even if it means my family eats the same thing twice in as many weekends!
And, if it helps, don the apron as well as a smile...
If if my knees are shaking underneath, who'll know?

***
Linking up with:

Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

7 comments:

  1. Bevy, You and Scott are an inspiration... I probably would croak if Ron invited people home without talking to me first.. I am a planner, and I am sure I miss out on lots of blessings but my nerves get the best of me.. and believe it or not years ago when Ron and I were first together I invited people over all the time... and loved it... I guess I have distanced myself way too long... I do however think about those days alot... so who knows maybe, just maybe I may reach out again eventually...
    So inspiring to me today... great post... XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hospitality is something I have grown to love. It wasn't easy at first, I had to learn that things didn't have to be perfect (house, meal, table setting etc) If you waited for perfect you would never have anyone over, that what was most important was making someone feel welcome in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm usually the one who does the inviting. Joe goes along for the ride. But hospitality is something I feel God has called me to. Our house is having some work done right now and it is all messed up. We have no place we could have someone over to eat. But I hope to get back to it really soon.
    Thanks for this inspiring post today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband enjoys seeing people happy and have bellies full of good food , nothing wrong with that at all in fact that's a lot like what my mum was like she felt happy feeding people and chatting with them at the same time . I think it is wonderful that he helped you I know Papa here does and it is fun to do these things together as well ! Oh heck whats a few bumps in the schedule any ways makes things interesting especially making new friends ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband used to do that when all of our kids were little. I enjoyed it, too. Back then I always had a lot of food in the house all the time, a full freezer, etc., like I'm sure you do. I used to keep cookie dough in the freezer for surprise company so that I could pull it out and for desert have cookies fresh out of the oven for desert. Another trick when you have the unplanned blessing of company is to excuse yourself after they've arrived and are settled in warmly, then sneak in to "use" the bathroom. Usually a few wipes, a fresh hand towel, close shower curtain, make sure there's soap and tp and you are good to go! I love how the Lord uses your marriage for His glory and honor. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bevy,
    So glad you popped in on my blog, because now I get a chance to pop in on yours, and it is beautiful. I love the design, fonts and photography. Your bags are lovely also. I can completely relate to this post about hospitality. We have had some of the same types of situations at our house (perhaps not so last minute… but you handled it so nicely). Its true, our response does make or break a situation. Lovely outlook, and lovely example of hospitality.
    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you kept an open heart with hospitality though inconvenient... Sounds like your hubby "safely trusts in you"... Have a wonderful weekend Bevy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...