Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, August 25, 2014

The Quotidian :: tis the season...

. ... .. .. .... . .. .. .... . .. .. ... .. .. ... ... . .. .. . .. ..

Ahh!  Do you hear that?  Listen.  it's Silent.

Did you know that Silent and Listen are spelled with the exact same letters.  I love knowing that fact. I just read that on a poster the other day - and well, it stilled me to ponder it for a moment..

I say all this to say...
It's the end of one of the longest days ever!  A good day but a C.R.A.Z.Y. busy one to boot.  The sun has set in the west... I think the only sound I actually do hear are the crickets out in the meadow.  It's well after 9pm. I think it was around 8 pm and I was still getting laundry off the line.  Just a mere 12 hours before, at 8 AM,  I was standing at the end of my driveway with my son, ready to put him on the bus for his very first day of Second Grade!

Grandma Susie was here for the weekend.  She came sometime on Thursday.  Her goal was to be here long enough to see this big guy off on the Yellow 54 and she succeeded.  Of course, we had to take photos... and Miss A is ready and waiting to head off with Mama, later in the day, to her Kindergarten orientation. Tuesday (tomorrow!)  is her turn to make it an official bus rider, as well.  She's super excited about that - but even more so with actually heading off to school, school!  The real deal.  Not just a preschool...

But before the mid-day orientation took place.  We headed up to the garden (25-30 minutes away) for more of the same.  Green stuff.  Beans, cucumbers and a few beets.  ((I'm learning a thing or two about growing red beets.  They're something else!))  We were back home two hours later... ready to start cleaning these guys..
Someone asked me, recently, for the recipe for my beets!  Stay-tuned... I think a separate post will be along shortly to cover that...

But, through it all the washer was running and desperately so.. because, I don't know if you remember me saying something last week about us doing 1,000 + ears on Saturday, because we did!  We ended up doing 1,300  to be exact!  We ALL were a corny, muddy mess.  We had such a wonderful, steady - all-day-long-sort of heavy rain all day Saturday but that didn't stop us.  We had lots of willing helpers.. (no pics though)... and Scott and I came home with 53 pint/quart bags of the most Incredible, yellow corn there is to be had. That is the name of the corn as well... Incredible!  It lives up to it's name.  So yummy!

While the adults were working their tushes off and having fun... the kids were muddying up theirs and having fun, too!  Lots of puddles to be explored.  And three little wiped out children on the way home.  The bath time, that evening, never felt so good in all our lives.  There is nothing quite like a bowl of hot creamy potato soup and buttery, flaky biscuits on a cold and rainy evening.

We hoped for a quiet 3rd birthday for Jayne on Sunday!  We did sort of have one. It was a beautiful day. Both grandmothers were here and one Uncle and his girlfriend stopped by... but, all in all, it was a quiet day. Because most of the family was gathered together Saturday for the corn party - we took cupcakes along and sang for her there.  We just saved the actual gift-giving for her actual birthday.

So, I have a question for you.

Have you ever heard the word Quotidian before?  It means: of or occurring every day; daily; ordinary or everyday, especially when mundane.

Well, that is truly what this post feels like.  Like I'm sharing the daily, ordinary and mundane...
 It tis a season!

The Quotidian.

I love word and this one has caught my attention while reading this dear friend's blog.  She says it's not original with her but that the idea to make this a running blog post theme... well, it came from here.

I hope that neither of these ladies mind that I have adopted the the phrase to describe my blog post for today - because anymore if my posts (as of the past several weeks/Mondays) don't include a photo of laundry, picked flowers, green beans and a mug of coffee or tea in some form or fashion then something is awfully wrong... because that seems to be the story of my life here of late.  Well, coffee is a given.  There is no questioning that one.. and a photo isn't even necessary!  And so are flowers picked - a given, as well. 

How do you like the basil gone-to-seed as part of the flower arrangement?  Pretty nice, eh?

So, thanks for reading along today!!  I - like I said - I am surely enjoying the quiet moment of just coming to this place here this evening and putting out a sigh of relief that we're here on this side of the day.

To which I thank the Good Lord for his faithfulness..

***

Linking this post to HERE...

8 comments:

  1. Bevy, I love coming here and reading all about your days, I have always been one interested in other's lives... I feel we can learn so much from each other, and I know i have learned a TON from being a blog reader... so THANK YOU for sharing your days...
    How awesome is it about the words Listen and Silent... and think one has to be silent to REALLY listen...
    What a Car Wash! I bet that was fun but hard work...
    Beets, I can see my Mamaw standing in the field with her apron held as a basket, and filled with Beets... I love them as well... Never canned any though... my dad said they had to hang and bleed before canning, I would try if my Mamaw was still around, but with myself being the only one that likes them, I will just buy a jar or two...:)
    I bet the kids were excited to start school, and to ride the bus...
    Happy Birthday to sweet Jayne... I am sure she had a wonderful day...
    To answer your question, No I have not heard of the word Quotidan... good word for Ordinary... I will remember this word, I may use it in my writing class in January... Yes School for this 51 year old girl...
    And I thank you for making a place where I can come and read along... take care.... XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huhh! I've never heard about hanging beets to bleed before canning. I love reading the way things are done in different areas across the country... because you've shared other times about stringing up string beans (I've seen photos... of this!) and other things... things done so totally different in method and culture, etc. I love it! And, we obviously have the same story for you!! Differences... a great way to learn!

      Don't you just love that? Silent = Listen.

      Jayne had a wonderful birthday and Aubrey LOVED every bit of her school... you should of saw the two of them... Caleb and Aubrey... getting off the bus. He held her hand across the street and the second they stepped foot on our driveway they both broke into a sprint, racing across the lawn towards the porch! The biggest smiles ever! I may have to do a post on this one... :) It warms me!!

      Delete
  2. Boy you have a knack of making the ordinary extraordinary....

    Love the pictures, the thoughts, the importance of the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...so sweet of you to link to us...thank you! I enjoyed your very fist "Quotidian" post my friend...it's a lovely way to share life, isn't it? Hugs to you! Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most certainly welcome, Camille! Thanks for the introduction!!

      Delete
  4. Bevy,
    Good Morning! I am so happy that you are finding your days so full. Good full, you know?
    All that garden goodness and all of that children goodness. And no, I never knew that listen and silent had the same letters. That's something to ponder for sure. ;o)
    I'm thankful that your new fall school routine is beginning on a positive note as well.
    Bless you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Bevy, sounds like your day was anything but mundane, it was beautiful and productive :) What a blessing to have all that corn!! Thank you for linking up your lovely homemaking with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. Please join us in this brand new week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...