Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, October 17, 2014

{day 17} Home Quotes and Sentiments :: fruit

. .. .... ..... .. .. ... ... .. . .. .. .... ... ... ... ... .. .




Photo compliments of Aubrey - my 6 year old!! :)


This post is so going to go over the 5 minutes allotted for the Free Write part of this challenge.  However,  I'm going to be taking the liberty today to just say what is and has been on my heart, and what I've been recently sharing with my kids.   Here's a hint:  It's another one of those teachable moments... :)

:: fruit ::

As you may recall.. my children ask every night - at bedtime - for a story of when either I or my husband were kids...
For me, a "moral" type of story usually ensues.  As well... I try to pull out a childhood story that may have gone well with a verse we've just read or whatever else from prior in the day.

This particular time...

I forget why "fruit" was the topic, for the night.  It may have originated from the verse found in Scripture.  Which, I'm paraphrasing here...
A tree is known by it's fruit.. (Luke 6:43-45)

And - so I asked the kids their favorite type of fruit.  All three said "apples".  Okay!!
So, we went with that.  I reminded them of my Grandparents having an orchard...many, many different fruit trees and such..

I can still remember my Grandpop sorting fruit and pulling out the bad apples.

We talked about what bad apples were like... and how that sometimes on the outside an apple may look perfectly fine and good and normal...
But, on the inside, it could be a totally different story.  There were many a time I bit into an apple only to find a worm inside... or a bruised, soft spot.
At this point, I hadn't told them the fact that with the "bad apples" and or extra ripe ones... that they went to being made into cider. :)  How is that for a yummo fact...? :)

When my kids wondered why my Grandfather would pull out the bad apples... I explained how his reasoning was that just one, ONE "Bad Apple" could or would influence the whole basket and ruin or spoil the rest of the good apples.  He didn't want to sell off "bad apples"...

I put it into a story form; down to their level of understanding, and that night... Mr. Joey-Schmoey Bad Apple was born...

We talked about "his" bad attitudes, his bad or off-color language and he being a bully on the playground, etc.

My children clued in pretty quickly the difference of being a good apple and the temptation of being influenced by a so called bad apple... and,  how hard it would be if they allowed Joey-Schmoey Bad Apple to be one of their "best buds".

As I asked - at the end of my little story - if they would rather be a good apple or a bad apple from here on out... one of them started "crying"...

When I asked what was wrong... they said, "You were talking about me.  I don't like it when you talk about me... I don't want to be a "bad apple".

Now... if I need to.  All I need to do is just mention Mr. Joey-Schmoey and the day settles down to a little bit sweeter than it was before.

Bad company corrupts good morals (or good character)... ~ 1 Corinthians 15:33
~~
When you hold your baby in your arms the first time, and you think of all the things you can say and do to influence him, it's a tremendous responsibility. What you do with him can influence not only him, but everyone he meets and not for a day or a month or a year but for time and eternity. ~ Rose Kennedy

***

Participating in:  31 days/Five Minute Free Writes/ Photography Challenge.
I'll be daily updating this link, HERE, so that you can keep up with any entries you may have missed!

3 comments:

  1. I love the first pic of the apples and gourds.... Again, such a beautiful post...inspiring! I love the way you are bringing up your children... "train them up in the way they should go"... you are doing that.. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great teachable moment Bevy!! Fantastic!! I think I see a children's story there?!! Eh??? ;). Love the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I loved that story... and I can envision your children all tuned in... What a great way to bring your memories from your upbringing and help shape your own... and I have to say when you said that one of yours said it was about them it almost made me cry... Sweet and learning... Your a good Mama... XO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...