Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

{day 18} Home Quotes and Sentiments :: Made You Smile Today...

. ... .... .. . .. .. ... .. ... .. .... ...... . ... .. ... .. ... . . .
As this prompt may suggest... I will tell you up front... this was NOT from today!

Recently, I came across this Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly... and of course, it did make me Smile! I love pointing out the "delicates" of nature - especially, to my children.   I ran indoors for my camera.  Taking a few shots up close led to it spreading it's wings and this beautiful black butterfly acted like it was guarding something...?  I realized after taking a few more photos of it's spread wings... that it was feeling quite threatened by "me" invading it's space and territory.   Do you see it's "Scary Monster- like eyes" on the bottom of it's wings?
 It is said - they are meant for protection - as if to mimic a snake...

Uhmmm, something to ponder...


Which leads me to today's post.  And, once again.  THIS POST will not fit with the parameters of a Five Minute Window..  just keepin' it real.


:: Made You Smile Today ::

It's out there!
The temptation to worry; desire to shield; over-protect.
And, it's probably right to do so... and, to be vigilant about it.
As a mom... I tend to be the one who is a bit more laid-back about a lot of things.  (it depends!) Whereas, my husband, on the other hand, is more the one "on-guard"; the protector; the worrier.  I'm sure I drive him crazy...

Try as we may... we can't always control, nor be in control.
Only God can and IS!

And, such was the case, in point, just the other Sunday afternoon.

Our 6 year old had been invited to a FROZEN birthday party for one of her little school friends.  It was held at a local park - not too far away from our house and for between the hours of 2-5 pm.

I took Aubrey to the party and introduced myself to the birthday girl's Mother (Whom I didn't know from Adam)... Scott and our other two children were off at another celebration event - representing our family.

Aubs had lots of friends at this party - as it was obvious from the moment she got out of our vehicle... and soon she was off skipping and scampering through the "frozen decorations", past the candy bar and beautiful frosted cupcakes.  The park's pavillion was decked out, even the parent's (??) were in costume...

I was glad to let her stay and enjoy her friend's birthday!  I was also glad I had insisted that she wear a jacket because the temperature for the afternoon had certainly gotten the memo that this was a "Frozen Party".

Meanwhile, I'm now back at home.  Thinking of her... as it was pretty "cold" out there... and wondering how this event was holding up.  

At about quarter to five, I leave the house to go get our daughter.  As I'm driving up the road, nearing the park's entrance... I can see, from the road, the Pavilion, where the party was held. 

FOLKS!  THERE WAS NOT a single SOUL TO BE SEEN AT THAT Pavillion! Any and all signs of Birthday Party - GONE!!!!!!!!  A random two guys playing basketball... somebody on the swings... but NO PARTY!

It was rising up within me... I'm telling you, what!!

There were maybe two-three vehicles seen on the premises.  I drove in there and parked in utter dismay and a lump sank from my throat to my toes... and I am confused.  It's not even Five o'clock yet- is it??  NO!  I'm early!  And then, I see my Aubrey...

Sitting in a pile... out there in the middle of the grass... in a pool of tears!  Two "older girls" were standing there comforting her and looking just as dumbfounded and confused and upset...

I can still see the look on my daughter's face -  one of MUCH relief and gratefulness - that I had come for her.  She ran to me - and I to her.  WE HELD ON to one another and I apologized profusely; wiping her tears and mine and she kept saying; "Mommy, I thought you'd never come for me - I was here for six hours, waiting for you!.."... (her perception of time is still way off...) but seriously, I wish I knew how long she had been sitting there.  I thanked those two girls up and down - but they were just random souls (No! I'm sure they were angels sent from the LORD!) who had noticed my little girl and who had nothing to do with this birthday party, but were there acting as "her shield"... I'm sure of it.

The whole way home (five minutes!) I'm shaking, and upset; crying, and grateful and angry and willing myself to forgive (I was really struggling...) and well, I knew... Scott would be all of the above, times TEN, the minute I told him what had happened.

As it turned out... later that evening, we reached out to the family and pleaded for an explanation and finally they answered, devastated... relaying that it was truly an innocent, honest mistake.  They were so upset this had happened and we were able to extend forgiveness.  Thankfully! For the family.. for ourselves and to have Aubrey's forgiveness towards me!

**LESSON LEARNED: always leave my phone number behind....

Perhaps, the cold day had something to do with shutting down the party early... but, again... I have no idea how long before, it was that everyone had left.

We're just grateful to GOD - it wasn't a worse situation.  I mean, it could have been.

Something about this story; our story - certainly solidified a moment between a Mother and Daughter that needed to be "encouraged" (in our love and commitment to one another!) ... and I will continue to hold that as a sacrality near and dear to my heart.

Together, as parents - as a family - we are grateful to GOD for his protection over our beloved daughter.  We realized in an instant, this was out of our control... and we didn't have any answers for the longest time.  (Granted, only mere hours!)

We Smile!  Rest... in HIS Providential Care... and we humbly realize this isn't everyone's story.  And, we're sad about that, too!

Smile at each other, smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other–it doesn't matter who it is– and that will help you to grow up in greater love for each other. 
~ Mother Teresa
~~
“What is home? My favorite definition is "a safe place," a place where one is free from attack, a place where one experiences secure relationships and affirmation. It's a place where people share and understand each other. Its relationships are nurturing. The people in it do not need to be perfect; instead, they need to be honest, loving, supportive, recognizing a common humanity that makes all of us vulnerable.”   ~ Gladys Hunt


***


Participating in:  31 days/Five Minute Free Writes/ Photography Challenge.
I'll be daily updating this link, HERE, so that you can keep up with any entries you may have missed!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my Bevy... I am so thankful all is good... I don't think I would have handled that too well.. especially when I confronted the Parents that held the party... You did good... and she is ok safe and sound... and I am glad... HUG that girl for me and have her hug you for me... Bless you friend... XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bevy, I think I would have reacted the same way you did. God certainly took care of your little girl. I believe He sent those older kids to take care of Aubrey.

    Your butterfly pictures are gorgeous. I usually can't get that close before they fly away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I'm near to tears!! And kinda angry! How could they leave her??? I'm more like Scott I think!! ;). But you are right - often think we are in control but we are not! Thankfully we know the One who is!

    And really nice photos - I'm like Kathy too, they always fly away when I try to get that close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaitlin, I have to agree with you... when I read this post, the more I read more anxiety built in me... for goodness sakes, you never leave the party unless all children are safely gone with their parents or guardians... Thankful she is ok... we need to keep her in our prayers... I am sure this was a scary moment for her...

      Delete
  4. oh my word Bev! I can't imagine how both of you I am increduolous! So grateful she is ok!!! I am sure you will be holding each other close and giving her extra reassurance for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO UPSET reading this! I simply don't understand how that family could have made this honest mistake, as they said. Thanking God that He protected little Aubrey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so grateful, too! I guess... it was truly an honest mistake because like I said - I didn't know this family neither did they know me (we only briefly met - one time!)... I think they said Aubs must have been sitting with another family and they just assumed she was with who she was supposed to be with. Aubrey was just waiting for me... to come get her. How long??? that is the real question... and most upsetting. BUT... it's over and forgiven and we're remaining vigilant and grateful for the future. :)

      Delete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...