Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

{day 22} Home Quotes and Sentiments :: A Favorite Place

. ... .. .. ... .. ... .... . ... .. .. . .. . ... . .. . .. . ..
A smile is a light in the window of your face 
to show your heart is at home.  ~ Anonymous



:: A Favorite Place ::

I know I've talked about this before... 
But, I'm a firm believer that the useful and functional kitchen of any house is the heart of that home!

It's my favorite place! 

As you walk through our front door... you step right into this very room.
I should think about it more often that this is the most vulnerable part of our home.
It's where we gather.  Where things collect.  Where folks are ushered through and asked to stay. Where activity is abundant...it's always on!!

Food is prepared and shared, here.  The smell of the kitchen matters and so should the floor!  Both are areas considered as efforts to be maintained...

Did I mention effort?  Seriously!

It's a cozy place.  

Comfortable.

Necessary!

Nostalgic...

If a light is on... we're home!

If we're not... there is still a light left on... to welcome us back inside upon our return.

Nostalgia is remembering the pleasure of our old kitchen when we were kids, without remembering how long it took to wash the dishes.
~ Caroline Brownslow

A home is no home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as for the body. ~ Margaret Fuller

Two more photos - taken right after lunch, this afternoon... just to say "Someone felt right at home..."

And, to leave you with a smile!!
Shew!! I'm grateful I found her and moved her safely to the living room sofa...

***
Participating in:  31 days/Five Minute Free Writes/ Photography Challenge.

I'll be daily updating this link, HERE, so that you can keep up with any entries you may have missed!

7 comments:

  1. I agree, Bevy. The kitchen is very important. Mom and I had some of our best conversations after supper when she'd wash the dishes and I'd dry. Great memories!

    I love the pictures you posted~~she's so adorable!

    Have a blessed week! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! I can't believe she fell asleep like that!!! She's such a doll!!

    I love the peek into your kitchen....I was envisioning sitting at your island there...cup of coffee in hand, chatting away with you... *sigh* One day....riiight????

    At my house we come into the kitchen too - but it kinda drives me crazy - I love my kitchen to be the center of the home...but there's a bit too much going on in that space right now - but still - I agree it's a favourite place of mine - even with the chaos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you just said what I really wanted to say... "even with the chaos!"... and yes! I agree... this would have been just fine to have you sit here for coffee... (this is/was the weekend you were hoping to come and we shushed it off...so sorry!) AND.... TO TOP IT OFF! I actually had an emergency situation arise yesterday (last couple of days..) where my coffee maker had broke and I am thankful for a brother who lives next door and was willing to fuel the fix whenever needed...:)... even late at night! ha! And, so there is a NEW coffee maker in the home and my heart is beating once again! Literally!!

      Delete
    2. Hahah! I just read this now - glad things got fixed! Broken coffee makers are a real emergency!! I forgot you drink coffee at all hours!

      Delete
  3. The kitchen should be a gathering place, but in my case you walk into an open living room and kitchen.. I chose this floor plan and love the openness, it creates more room to move but I find everyone wants to grab their plate and move to the living room... UGG... we still are all in the same room persay because nothing divides our kitchen/living room space... I have even placed my sofa with its back to the kitchen in the living room, but then I saw only the backs of those I love... and yes I have a large 8 seat table... I think it may be due to comfort more so than anything... but cushions are out for those chairs... I did however make it priority when everyone was home to sit at the table for breakfast and dinner... but we had a farm table then and the chairs were so good... and the holidays still are shared around our table... its a must...
    Loved how she must have got her belly full and required rest... Love that stage of life with them...
    Sorry to hear your coffee pot broke, but at least you have a new one... and what a reward to have your brother next door... XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet picture of your litte one asleep at the table. It always gave me a chuckle and a smile when my Megan would start to nod off at the table. I agree the kitchen is the heart of the home. I have fond memories of time spent in my grandmothers kitchen. Thanks for stirring those memories up this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree and your kitchen is so warm and inviting. I am sure you bless so many from that cozy space! And OH...your sweet little one asleep! I miss when my kids were that little!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...