Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, October 24, 2014

{day 24} Home Quotes and Sentiments :: Dinnertime

.. .. .... .. .... .... . .. .. .... .. .... .. ... ... .. .. . . ..

: Dinnertime :

A scene like this, in the kitchen, usually gets my clan's attention.  They're all right there - wanting to see why all the steam...??  OF COURSE this comes with words of caution and concern that they'll get too close...

But, I suppose it is soon time for them to learn ALL the ins and outs of kitchen duty and what to make for dinner and how it exactly gets handled.... right?  Perhaps, I'm the one who is way behind in this department... but confidence does grow with aptitude and fortitude, both for me and my kids.  I can hardly believe my babies are growing up to be so competent.  Oh.. it's so scary!

My 7 year old has been thrilled that he's now dubbed the official "ToastMaster!" and just this morning - he was quite interested in the makings of microwaved oatmeal - and so of course, he got the 411 - and he promptly ate that whole bowl right up.  Happy as a clam; he headed out the door for school this morning!!  I think it was more that he was pleased as punch over the fact that Mama left him be in charge for a moment...

This is what I'm working on.

I'll say: If you're willing to ask questions...and WAIT... for my words (of direction!) then you are ready for "more and more" of the ropes...

I recently came across this cute cooking poem  that I want to share with you... I found it in one of my cookbooks.

((talking to youngsters - in the kitchen))

When you're cooking in the kitchen, 
You're learning all the while --
To pour and measure, mix and stir
And sift flour into a pile.

Scrub your hands before you start
Then gather up the gear --
Like pots'n pans and measuring cups
That you use throughout the year.

Go over the recipe, step-by-step, 
So you'll know just what to do.
By carefully following the directions, 
It won't be hard for you.

Have a hot pad handy
And an adult standing by --
So you won't hurt yourself
When using the stove or baking a pie.

Besides the fun and learning, 
There's always cleaning up to do, 
And even though it's quite a chore, 
It's part of cooking too.

But after all the work is done, 
It will soon be time for dinner.
And when someone asks for seconds,
You'll know you've cooked a winner!

~ Selected
  Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. ~ Jeremiah 29:5

Eating is the ritual of communion; over a lifetime, it gives us opportunities for a continual flow of creativity, and for unique personal expression -- a chance to delight and nourish the spirit as well as strengthen the body.  ~ Alexandria Stoddard
***


Participating in:  31 days/Five Minute Free Writes/ Photography Challenge.

I'll be daily updating this link, HERE, so that you can keep up with any entries you may have missed!


4 comments:

  1. "Toast Master" how clever... Bevy, I have always loved to cook and one of my greatest challenges have been teaching my children how to.... I know I should have and I have tried, but my patience always ran out more so out of fear than anything else... and I really had/have an issue with others cooking in my kitchen... oh they can make a sandwich, or something simple on their own, but a meal no way... and its funny now because Colton is married and on his own and he is the one that HAS to cook due to his wife WON't.... and he does pretty good... she knows how just doesnt want to... which I do not understand .... so to have children interested and a willing mama is a great thing... because you never know what they will face when they are on their own... and yes, her knowing and not wanting to is a hard thing for me to swallow....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have added that before She married him, I personally asked her if she knew how... and Yes was the answer plus while they were dating she made him dinner more than once... Fried chicken, mashed potatoes not instant... but once she married him, she refused and doesnt keep house either... HE does it all .... ... this is not a happy MIL... but what am I to do... the more I say, the more chaos it creates... so I just keep quiet...

      Delete
  2. My seven year old makes toast too but it's daddy who got her on that! I'm much more like Connie (above) - I don't have the patience and I don't like to share my kitchen!! ;). Though Dave will and does cook, I have to busy myself while he cooks or I go crazy watching him! ;) hahaha!
    My parents never taught me how to cook, (I did pick up a few easy things: Kraft dinner, grilled cheese, etc.) but over-all I went away to school and then a year later was married and I had to learn everything then! But I'm a pretty good cook now!!! So don't worry too much about what you 'teach' your kids in the kitchen - they'll learn lots by just watching your fabulous example! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and after all that, I forgot to say how much I like your picture!!!

      Delete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...