Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Smart, Sweet and Tart (Cranberry Nut Dessert)

. ... .... .. .. ... ... ... ... . . .... .. . .... .. . .. . .
I've had few curious folk interested in what this dessert is...


Well.  Today is the day to find out, especially if you love anything Cranberry!  :)  It's Cranberry Nut Dessert.
 I think it honestly, deserves a fancier name... but, who am I?
It's Tart.
Sweet.
Simple.
And, Smart.
Little bit crunchy with the nuts...and a wonderful hint of almond flavoring.

This is that one recipe when you need a festive pie type of dessert but you don't really have time to make a pie crust.  Wow, what a time saver. And, a delicious one at that.  I am thrilled to have found this recipe!  Thank you, very much!

Cranberry Nut Dessert

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup (one stick) melted butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 - 1 tsp. almond extract

Whipped cream or ice cream, optional

In a bowl, (I used a wooden spoon, to stir), combine the flour, sugar and salt.  Add cranberries and nuts; toss to coat.  Stir in the butter, eggs, and extract.  The mixture will be very thick, especially if using frozen cranberries.  Spread into a greased 9" pie plate.

Bake at 350* for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings

***
I just had a slice of this, with my morning coffee.  I'm counting it as breakfast!  It works!!
Let me know if you try this with the whipped cream!!

7 comments:

  1. Bevy, you have the BEST recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julia... I'll tell you what I was originally looking for. A Cranberry Pie Recipe that when you take the pie out of the oven - you put a Large Bowl over top (with the pie inside) in which it "bakes" the streusel on top. Of course, this said recipe is a lot more complicated timewise - due to making pie crust (which I don't mind!) but do you know that I cannot find that recipe anywhere. So - in my looking for it. I stumbled onto this one... and it's certainly a keeper.

    If you make - I know you'll enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm...I'm going to have to give this recipe a try. I made a Cranberry Meringue pie from the Eating Well magazine last week when our family was with us for Thanksgiving week. It was tasty, too...and a no roll crust!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bevy for sharing... I have to say, I don't know why I didnt think about it being Cranberry... I actually thought Cherry... silly me... Thanks again... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to save this recipe. I bake every week for a treat at my husband's Wednesday Night Bible Study (we're studying discipleship right now) and I'm always looking for something easy and good. This sounds and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to try this using honey. It sounds wonderful with the cranberries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love cranberries this time of year! And so pretty!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...