Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Corndog Casserole

. .. ... .... .. .. ... .. . ... .. ... .... ... .... .. . .. . .

Now... this may not look so appetizing here in this particular photo.. but if you're a fan of Corn Dogs... than this may become a hit for your family as well.  The truth is.. before this, I've never really had a corn dog, that I can recall.  For regular hot dogs... I'm a relish and mustard only kind of girl.  My husband not so much. He has his VERY own version on how to eat a regular hot dog...which we've dubbed The Scott Dog!

Of course, I disagree, but Scott says the only thing mustard is good for is on a corn dog!!  Which we never have...unless we're at a fair or somewhere.  
Well...so...
I found this Corn Dog Casserole recipe and thought we'd give it a whirl.  However, no mustard was involved.

 Instead, this recipe really was a good dish to pair up with a side of BBQ'd green beans.  And a few other leftovers as well.  That would have been leftover rice and a beef-cube chili dish - I conjured up, similar to this!
We felt like we were in the deep South, for dinner - that night!! :)  Which my hubby thoroughly enjoyed. lol!
By the way.  I'm always doing this.  Making *new* recipes up or combining two different ones for to better suit the situation.   It's just how I fly!
Here we go.

Corn Dog Casserole
2 T. butter
1 cup onion, chopped fine (opt. but so good!)
2 pounds hot dogs, sliced into rounds**
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tsp. ground sage
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 cups shredded cheese
2 (8 1/2 - ounce) packages cornbread muffin mix**

Saute onions with hot dogs in butter.  Set aside.  Mix cornbread muffin mixes with eggs, milk spices and 1 1/2 cup of cheese.  Add hot dog and onion mixture.  Spread in 3-quart casserole dish or 9x13" greased pan.  Top with remaining cheese.  Bake at 400* for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

NOTE:  ** there are two things I did differently.  I had one package of lil smokies/hotdogs in the freezer - I just thawed and cut these up instead of regular hot dogs.  worked perfectly.
Second.  I didn't have cornbread muffin mix on hand.  So, I improvised by using some self-rising flour and self-rising cornmeal instead.  Actually, I found a recipe that called for both of those and so I made that particular cornbread recipe instead. 

Here is this one...if you're curious.
Mama's Cornbread **
1 egg
2 cups buttermilk (glug, glug of apple cider vinegar, added to milk)
1 1/2 cup of self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup of self-rising flour
1 T. sugar
1/4 cup cooking oil

Break egg into 2-quart bowl and add buttermilk.  Add cornmeal, flour and sugar. Mix well.
Grease medium iron skillet and heat it (or baking pan of choice, I used an 8x11" glass pan).. .pour oil into cornbread mixture into hot skillet.
Bake at 400* for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

** Mama's Cornbread is not to be confused with my usually used all-time favorite cornbread recipe, and here is the rest of the story!  You'd think we eat a lot of cornbread.  Yes!! Yes, we do. :)
***

Bottom line.  I used this second recipe (Mama's Cornbread) and added the hotdog/onion mixture and cheese suggestion from the first recipe.  (smile!)

Result?  A nice savory cornbread, with a twist - that everyone loved!

***
I like keeping my family's palate happy and satisfied!  It's my job and I'm happy to oblige.

4 comments:

  1. I love that very last line the best. I second it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You second that motion? Yeah!!

      Hey - so good to see your smiling face on here, Tracy - within the comment section!! You've just made my day!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I would have made cornbread for ya'll when you were here if I had known you were such cornbread connoisseurs! ;) lol!! That looks interesting, may have to give it a try soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds really good to me. I will have to give a it a try. I have seen corn dog muffins; done very similar to this. I do think mustard hits the spot with hot dogs or corn dogs, and no reason a little dab onto the casserole would hurt anything in my opinion :) Thanks for sharing; I always enjoy reading what you are up to. Blessings,Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...