Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Baked Oatmeal - a healthier version

... . ... .. .. ... .. .. ... ... .. ... .. .. .. .. ... .. .. .. ... .. .
Our family loves Baked Oatmeal.  In fact.  I make it nearly every Sunday morning - for breakfast.  And, it's great warmed up as leftovers a couple of days later.  My kids will pretty near fight over who will get the leftovers, if they're aren't enough for everyone to have a small bowl.  It's that good!
So, obviously I've talked about this before.  And, have even shared the recipe before.  See this link!
3 cups quick oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted (1/2 c. canola oil can be used, instead)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup milk
**chopped nuts are optional

Mix all ingredients together and pour into an 8"x 8" baking dish.  Bake at 350* for 25 minutes.
***

So - how did I make this recipe any healthier?  Here is what I did.

I exchanged the butter for coconut oil.  BINGO!! Which.. I know... is probably something I should do more of and like as in - yesterday!!  I hear all the time about coconut oil (In everything. For everything.) and yet... this was my first time of trying it out on my family.  Honest confession.
I also added 2 tsp. ground flaxseed (could use - way more - per preference)
and, I definitely added the chopped nuts.

Half of my family likes blueberries with their oatmeal.  So - I just added a few frozen berries to one side of the dish - and everyone was kept happy.  :)

Now.. I'm sure I'm not the only one who makes their baked oatmeal this *new* way. So, that said... I would be interested in hearing of other ways you take this original recipe and kick it up a notch.

1 comment:

  1. Oh... coconut oil!
    Smart!
    Just made a batch today but next time, coconut oil!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...