Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Zucchini (Corn) Casserole

. . .. .. .. .... .. . ... . .. . .. . .. . ... .. . . ... .. . . . .
Over the July fourth holiday - we had guests for the afternoon and on into dinner.  So, I pulled out a new-to-me recipe -something I've never made before, but had definitely heard about. In fact, my mom suggested it - saying it was a must-make.

 Pulling out a newbie always makes my hubby cringe.  I don't know why.  I thought he had better faith in me than this.  But, it does make him "worry".  And... I say... making a new recipe for the first time - should happen with guests who are at best, not complete strangers, but rather only close friends, so that either one of two things will happen.  Either they will love you all the more for your cooking or they'll tell you to your face... Please!  Don't ever make that again.  Please.

End result is always this. Speaking from my experience only. At least MOSTLY ALL if not half of the dish will be gone.  That's a promise!
If it's a good dish - everyone is happy and they'll ask you for the recipe.  If it wasn't a hit -  well... this way there aren't too many leftovers to contend with.  It's a win-win all around.

Am I the only one who dares to cook, like this?


Zucchini (Corn) Casserole
4 c. thinly sliced zucchini
1 1/2 c. corn (fresh or cooked) - and this is purely optional.
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. butter
2 T. parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 t. basil (* I threw in a few fresh leaves, finely chopped)
1/4 tsp. oregano
2 eggs
8 oz. (or more) mozzarella cheese (or monterey jack, because that is what I had)
1 tube crescent rolls **
Or, if you're like me and you don't have a tube of crescent rolls on hand you can make your own.

In this case, I used 2 cups of Bisquick and 1/2 cup of water to make a crust.
Mix together with a fork  until it forms a soft ball and then press into pan.
Or, my mom used a regular pie crust instead.  She said it worked fine!

Melt butter into your large frying pan and saute zucchini and onion for about 10 minutes.  If you're using corn and it is raw - I would add that in right away, too!  IF your corn is cooked... drain any juices and  throw this in there the last five minutes or so.

Beat eggs and add seasonings.  Stir together the eggs, sauteed veggies and cheese.
Put your crust (whatever you decide to go with) into a 9x13" baking pan, pressing up the sides a bit..  Pour in  zucchini mixture and sprinkle with extra cheese, if desired.

Bake at 375* for 18-20 minutes - maybe longer for regular pie crust... not sure.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!!

***
Did you serve any new-to-you dishes over the 4th of July?  If so, I'd like to hear about them.
I know this gal has a bean dish that I would like to give a whirl for an upcoming 71st Family Reunion.
These picnic beans sound awesome.
Check them out!

***
Happy Monday to each one of you!  

9 comments:

  1. It sounds and looks just delicious; I gotta pin it. I am hoping to have some zucchini to pick soon, so It will be definitely one to try.... and it doesn't worry me to try something new; I can tell by picture and ingredients that something is yummy; this is definitely one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops Pam... hey!! I think we posted something here about the same time. I didn't see your comment when I posted.

      YES!! Another brave soul. IT really is a delish dish. I am so glad I thought to add corn. You know what I did? We had a few ears of corn on the cob left over from the night before. I just cut that off - right away... and used it for this zucchini dish. PERFECT combo.

      Delete
  2. I guess I'm the only one - who cooks this bravely.

    By the way. This dish REALLY was a delicious hit!! As, leftovers... it sort of lost its luster. (In my opinion) Hopefully I didn't scare anyone... because it really was good. Perfect to take to potluck or family reunion... just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bevy, I am a throw together girl, and this sounds so easy... I was wondering though, since it has eggs in it, How would it be if it was crustless? I thought about that since I have to watch my carbs due to diabetes? Not trying to change your recipe because it sounds fab.. and I love both of these veggies.. so I think its a must keep... I normally will take a recipe and make a smaller version for myself to try first because I have some picky eaters.. but myself and hubby are game for just about anything once, with in reason... Nothing gross or wild... EWWW... that makes me gag just thinking about it... lol... Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the previous post was about Ewww, thinking about the gross and wild stuff not the recipe you shared... Silly I know... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured out as much. No worries, Connie, about the Ewww... I would have a few things myself that I don't care for. Such as, black olives or seafood... thank you, but no thank you!

      And as far your question about going crustless. I'm almost sure it's possible. Just be sure to grease your pan well.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bevy... I am with ya on the black olives... seafood, well before I met the hubby I would only eat maybe a fish sandwich, but now its shrimp, lobster, clams ... I use to say Ewww but living on the coast sure changed things for me... Nothing like seafood if its freshly cooked.. and caught... My hubby is a Scuba Diver so it kinda just happened.. He hasnt been able to dive much living here in Ky though.. but I am sure he will again someday... NOT me tho, I can't really swim that well.. I kinda freak out if my feet can't touch the bottom.. and I dont think that will ever happen in the Ocean... love the sandy beaches though and Sunshine... thanks I will try that recipe... thanks for sharing...

      I really think I talk to much... gotta work on that... ;)

      Delete
  5. That sounds delicious! I'm always willing to give new things a try. My husband will eat anything, but my girls are a little more picky. :-) Have a great evening.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pinning for later, I have everything (except for the crescent rolls, but I'll do like you said) in my kitchen! Sounds delicious, and I'm always looking for some new way to use up some zucchini. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...