Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Crabapple Jam and more...

. .. ... . .. ... . .. . ... . .. . . .. ... . . .. . .. . .. . .. . . . .
While thumbing through a magazine at a doctor's office - I snuck a photo with my rinky-dinky cellphone. ;)
I just loved the simplicity of this photo... and the memories it produced within.


This welsh proverb is true and gave me something to ponder, as well.  
My thought was...

A tiny seed in one - can really do a bumper crop of business for another.  

This is true for either good or bad.   Do you know the kind of seed(s) hidden in your heart?  What seeds are you and I depositing into others...?  Hmmm, again, something to ponder.

A tree is known by the fruit it produces...

 “No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.  Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers.  A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. ~ Luke 6:43-45

***
So - I have this friend from church who put out a call of "anyone need or want crabapples?".  I said, sure!!  As, it reminded me of my Grammy.  She, and Grandpop, would always be making an apple something or another with all their apple trees (small orchard).  For one, Grammy would make crabapple jelly.  While I like jellies.. I do prefer a jam or preserve better.  So, I was on the course for finding a relatively easy recipe for making crabapple jam.  I found one!!  And - have been enjoying the fruit of my labor ever since.  Even sharing a jar, here and there, as gifts.

Here is the link to the recipe I used.  Crabapple Jam.

***
To be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter....
to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring -
these are some of the rewards of the simple life. ~ John Burroughs

And, I would add.
The gift of a simple little ole crabapple.  I know some folks see crabapples as a pest.  A beautiful tree in the spring but a bother, just the same, as these aren't the friendliest apple (to eat!) but hidden deep inside is a small taste of goodness... if you only take a moment to seek it out. 
And, if you take the time to make that happen.

I know my kids didn't quite necessarily enjoy the process of sorting and destemming the crabapples... but they, too, sure enjoy(ed) the fruit of their labor as we slather crabapple jam on hot buttered toast or as a side condiment for pork tenderloin.  Yumm!

***
Enjoy your week!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my that photo is beautiful.. and I have never had the pleasure of eating anything crab apple. BUT it sure looks delish.. and on hot buttered toast.. or with Pork tenderloin... YUMMY... Loved all the goodness you shared here today... Hope all is well, and enjoying the rest of this warm season.. take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. We took a hike the other day, and found an old homestead. The barn and crab apple trees were still standing. I took a few crabapples home and the kids planted the seeds. I know it must be a really old variety and they were super sweet! Your crabapple jam looks really wonderful. I am sure you will all enjoy the lovely jam this winter. ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. super sweet? wow. Most crabapples are very, very tart. My Grandparents' tree produced more of a yellow and pink crabapple. These ones that I used to make the jam - were very red as you see in the basket there...

      In fact. We'd often use the crabapples as "weapons" for a war (us grandkids) - out in the open pasture. just another memory.
      In other words... crabapples weren't used much more than for jelly. The tree bloomed pretty. And the bees loved them. Another feature to my grandparents orchard - the beehives! :)

      Delete
  3. Yes that is a lovely photo as are yours of your jam and kiddos . We have a crab apple tree but it only produces berry like fruit never any apples of any kind it is a very old tree maybe about 50 years old or older . Lovely post . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading this Bevy. So glad you linked up with the Art of Home-Making Mondays. You are a lovely homemaker yourself :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...