Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

On the homefront: Recipe and The Quilt, The Hemlock House Healing Salve and Journaling

. .. .... .. ... . ... .. . .. . . ... . .. . ... .. . .. .. ... . . . . .
Ahh.  Comfort food - there is nothing like it, especially for this time of year!  And casseroles are certainly a way to obtain that for a measure of comfort.

I mentioned the other day that I would share another recipe.  One, using cooked rice, broccoli and kale. This was a recipe that I quickly threw together - for our little family - and I think it just might have become a family favorite.  Later - looking online - I did find this similar recipe...that perhaps you would enjoy as well.  But... truthfully.  Mine might be a tad easier to put together.  I don't know.

A couple of things.

Whenever I made rice, I bake it in the oven.  Apparently - I'll need to share this method sometime - as  another recipe. It's something I've talked about quite often - but have never shared how.  Stay posted.
Oven baked rice is the best idea (ever!) and so efficient plus it keeps your stovetop clean.  However, we always have leftovers - whenever it is I make rice.  No problem - I'll just bag it up in a ziploc and throw in the freezer.

Having a cup or two of cooked/baked rice in the freezer - has been another time saver for me.
And - so easy for casseroles - such as the one I'm about to share.



Here are the ingredients ...

2 cups of cooked rice (if frozen, thaw it out)
1 cup of frozen broccoli flowerets
1/2 - 1 cup kale, chopped
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 - 2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
seasoned salt
paprika

Lightly steam broccoli and kale together - for a couple of minutes.  In another bowl, add the veggies, while hot, with some of the vegetable water to the rice.  Add the cream of mushroom and cheese and stir well.  Put into a nicely buttered casserole.  Sprinkle seasoned salt and paprika - to taste.

Bake at 350* for 20 - 30 minutes or until heated through (bubbly and golden).

Simple, creamy and delicious!!
You're welcome!

***
I also promised you would get to see the baby quilt (in full) once I've finished working on it.  I realize since taking the photos that I really didn't get a full photo of it.  Just partial bits and pieces.  Oh well... you do get the idea.  Truth is. I'm sad to have this sewing project be done and gone.  :) I so thoroughly enjoyed working on this.  Hand quilting is very theraputic for me...I guess.  My friend said, she might have another for me to do in the near future, Lord Willing.  I said... "sure!"


***

I've been meaning to give a shout-out; a plug-in for my friend Amanda and her Etsy Shop!


See the two little jars, here on the shelf?

The smaller jar, with the black lid, is Plantain Salve and the other (the one with the tag) is her Healing Salve.  I ordered this healing salve the other week - and I don't know how many times we've dove into this jar - even in one day alone.  Several times.  My family and I are sincerely convinced this is the best stuff since sliced bread.
It works.  From bug bites, and cuts and scrapes. to just a bump or bruise.  It always produces a smile!
Even my hubby is a believer!!

Thank you - Amanda!!
***

Ending on this note.  I was recently a recipient of a wonderful giveaway and awarded this beautiful journal.

It's become a wonderful addition to my kitchen counter. :) A great place to capture and collect thoughts and ideas as I go about my day.

It is often life's smallest pleasures and gentlest joys
that make the biggest and most lasting difference. ~ Unknown
***
Enjoy the remainder of your day!!

6 comments:

  1. Your broccoli - kale dish looks scrumptious. We buy broccoli each week (and locally grown all summer) so I'm always appreciative for broccoli-ideas.

    I have a jar of Amanda's homemade Healing Salve and think it grand. I used it on my "squeeta" bites today. What a lovely fragrance.

    You are an artistic photographer. Nice to meet you around the block of the blog neighborhood. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's so nice to have you stop by and visit here. Thank you!! I was so blessed to get my hands on a copy of your book "A Charlotte Mason Companion" - two years ago. I only borrow -ed it from a friend and regretted having to return it. I'll need to get my own copy one day.

      I'll be checking out your blog, in return. :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Bevy,

    Your quilt is darling. I like the neutral colors!

    Warmest thanks for giving me a shout out;-)

    Love,

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most certainly welcome - my friend!! This quilt is for a friend of mine and she is giving it as a gift to someone else. As I mentioned, I had so much fun doing this and am so sad it's gone and done!!

      Delete

  3. The recipe looks delicious! I’m looking forward to your baked rice recipe. I’ve made it that way before, but I’d like to hear how you make it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...