Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, April 8, 2016

Skillet Cabbage

. .. . .... . ... .. ... .. . .. . .. . .. ... . ... . .. . ..  .. . . .. 
I know.  I haven't shared a recipe with ya'll in a really long time.  So - here's one for you, that you've got to try.

::Skillet Cabbage::
1 Tbsp. olive oil - pour into skillet

3 cups finely shredded cabbage
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 small green pepper, chopped (opt.)
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
dash black pepper
1/2 cup chipped ham, bacon or crumbled sausage (opt.)

Variation:  For flavor change, add 2 tsp. soy sauce.

Add these ingredients to the oil preheating in the skillet.  Cover and cook 7-10 minutes until desired tenderness, stirring occasionally.  May add 2 T. water, if needed.  Serve immediately.

****
I was to a friend's house - for lunch, one day - and she shared this dish, but made as the title of this post suggests, with cabbage.  Purple Cabbage, I might add.  :)
Yumm.  This dish was so tasty and so pretty.

Delightful, to say the least.  Of course, I begged her for the recipe.
As it turns out - when she pulled the book out, to copy over the recipe, I realized we share the same cookbook.  Here, I've had it all along...tucked on my shelf of many cookbooks!

We had to laugh!

Enter - time to make the dish for my family.

I knew I had zero cabbage in the house, this particular dinner hour.  However, I had a head of cauliflower pining to be used.

Could I dare - do a switch around?
You bet I could. (smile)

I sliced it really, really fine... lightly chopping... through the flowerets of the cauliflower.
I also used thicker chunks of bacon and smoked ham pieces to begin the sauteing process.
I pretty much followed the recipe from here on out, including the soy sauce.
However, I did not add the green pepper.

To serve.  I made a side of couscous. But rice would work just as well.


 We layered these two on our plates to enjoy.
Couscous + "Cabbage" (Cauliflower) = Contented Kids!

We ALL enjoyed!!

Every single plate emptied and yeah... they "licked their platters" clean.  ;)

2 comments:

  1. My grandmother made this all the time with left over cabbage when she made boiled ham and cabbage. I haven't made it in ages, but I will now! Thanks Bevy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sounds wonderful. I actually have 2 bags of shredded cabbage. I think I will try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...