Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

A Safe Refuge

. .. . ... . ... .. . .. ... . ... . ... . . ... .. .. . . ..  .. 
Every house where love abides 
And friendship is a guest
Is surely home, and home, sweet home
For there the heart can rest.
~ Henry Van Dyke


I've been thinking about Emilie Barnes - sad that her life on this earth has recently passed.  But what an encouraging life of influence she led and how that legacy will continue to endure...
I will always think of Emilie as a mentor in my life.
She will be greatly missed.


A Safe Refuge
A welcoming home is a place of refuge, a place where people worn by the noise and turmoil and hostility of the outside world can find a resting place.  A welcoming home is a place that you and others can enjoy coming home to.
If you live in a house with small children, you may already be shaking your head.  "What do you mean, 'noise and turmoil of the the outside world'? I have to leave home to get away from noise and turmoil!"
But even in the rough-and-tumble of family living, home can be a safe haven and even a place of quiet (at least some of the time).  And especially if noise and activity crowd your life, making the extra effort to create a sense of refuge in the midst of it can pay off wonderful dividends.
Besides, a refuge is not a hole where you disappear to eat and sleep and emerge to go about the business of life.  A welcoming home is where real life happens. It's where personalities are nurtured, where growth is stimulated, where people feel free not only to be themselves but also to develop their best selves.  That caring, nurturing quality - not the absence of noise or strife - is what makes a home a refuge.   


**
My prayer - Lord, that I would continue to grow this spirit of nurture, welcome and loveliness... every single day... help me!!  Both in my heart and in my home..

2 comments:

  1. Your prayer is mine, too!
    I want my heart and home to be a refuge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nurture, welcome and loveliness - yes and amen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...