Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, December 19, 2016

The Gift of a Compliment...

. . .. .. . ... . ... .. . .. .. .. . ... .. . . . .. . ..  ..  . . 
We all know the blessing of a well-rounded compliment - don't we?  
It kinda fills our bucket...doesn't it?


I believe each one of my kids, in their kindergarten years, has come home from school with the story of how we need to be "bucket fillers" in each other's lives - not bucket dippers.
You know this story, too, don't you?

Well, today something interesting happened.

You know how every Christmas - outside of all the prominent retail stores you hear the familiar ringing of bells as the Salvation Army representative is sitting or standing there with their bucket - waiting.  Waiting to fill...

As I entered this particular store I didn't have anything at the moment to share, but I wanted to be sure to drop something in on my way out.

Now, this man, attending - was a jolly, friendly fellow wishing ALL, he saw, a Merry Christmas - but I also noticed he was not shy in speaking LIFE (compliments) to ALL he met, as well.  It wasn't awkward.  Rather, genuine.

When I came out of the store - I had my "gift" waiting and ready to add to his bucket - but, at the same time he caught my eye and filled mine.  In other words... he gave me a compliment - saying something about my smile being something really special and not to lose that.  Now, I've heard this compliment many, many times before and I'm not sharing this to brag - just saying... when someone "new" notices and it continues to be noticed - I sincerely hope that it continues to be a blessing!

I may or may not have have walked away with a tear in my eye... appreciating all over again the compliment that continues to remind me to wear my smile.  What's fun - is that it always catches me off guard - that someone will notice a simple smile and say something about it.  Maybe not enough people are doing it.  Smiling, that is.

Are you a bucket-filler, or a bucket-dipper?
Don't let others steal your joy - but rather give it away 1st - if you can!!

And, remember.  This is yet another gift that will not cost a single cent.

***
Click HERE to read more of these posts on the eight gifts that do not cost you a cent.

2 comments:

  1. I had my bucket filled, just today.
    I enjoy getting mail. Christmas cards are like gifts in the mailbox. I love them! But we don't get very many, anymore (??).
    Today, I got one from a friend, who knows how to complement. Her words were so much appreciated. She said she valued our friendship. This meant so much to me.
    It truly was a gift! Funny thing, I have never met her! She happens to be a blogging friend, who knows the gift of a complement!

    Merry Christmas Bevy, to you and your family!


    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love this!!!! :) Thanks for sharing this... filled my bucket all over again, today!!

      Delete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...