Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Of toy army men, pretzel nuggets, devotions and plastic containers. All part of an answer to prayer.

. .. .... .... ... .. ... .. . ... .... .. ... ... . . .. . . . . .
 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?  So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’  For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.  ~ Matthew 6:25-34
***
One afternoon, since our move, my son found yet another box to unpack. The box housed Lincoln Logs and about 30 or so little plastic army men.  We hadn't seen them in awhile... and well, he found it kinda fun to play with them again.  Completely understandable.
As he was cleaning up ... he declared he wished he had a plastic container to put them in.  Something like a peanut or cashew container.  Something clear, with a screw-top lid.  "Sorry, bud", I said. "I don't have anything like that right now... and I don't plan to go out shopping anytime soon.  I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you."

The next morning.  I head downstairs, for the day, and there are on the counter sits a container!!  Just like the one my son asked for... except it housed peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets. Okay... this works, but WHAT?!?!

Not sure where it came from.  I asked my husband.  Of course...he knew!!!

Backing up a bit... 
You see, the night before, Scott (my husband) had been out helping my Brother-in-law, do some work around his place and getting home after we all were in bed and then out, the door the next morning for work..we had to catch up over the phone.  This is what I found out.  Because he (John) is a service tech for broken-down trucks, out and about... the story goes that if there is/was an accident or such... and a pallet gets broken... the merchandise gets dispersed and so that is how a WHOLE BOX of peanut butter filled pretzels wound up at our house (mind you, lots of containers!) because what is my brother-in-law going to do with but so many boxes... but share?

Yes!!  6 plastic containers. Not one!!  But, six!!

So - I thought about it and asked Caleb, once he came downstairs, if he had prayed about his need?
"No", was his response. "I wished for it, but I hadn't prayed about it."

We sat down to talk.

I assured him, it was okay... but to listen to me.  I reminded him of our devotional the other evening... when we read from The Jesus Storybook - the passage and story from Matthew 6... about God caring for the birds of the air, the flowers of the field.
And, how that sometimes and more than we realize - even if we don't ask... God still cares enough to meet our needs!!

"You may not have asked GOD for a container, but HE still heard your heart's cry... and through the circumstance of events he provided for you..."

It was really neat to see these words sink into his little heart and mind.  He really pondered this one for awhile...

 *** 
Truth is.  I needed the reminder, just as much.  I still get the chill-bumps; the smile on my face, the comfort in my heart... knowing we have a good, GOOD Father... who cares and meets our every single need... no matter what!!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Bevy, I just read that same passage a few days ago.. and I am right along with ya, I got goosebumps as I was reading.. such a wonderful post. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord for your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post spoke to my heart. On July 13 our car was totaled in an accident. (No one was hurt.) As of today I am driving an almost new car that we could only dream of owning. Everything with the accident worked out that God provided us with a new vehicle 1000 times better than anything we could have imagined. It was all of Him that we got it. The way the circumstances came about there is no way that it was us. God delights to give us (His children) the desires of our heart. I'm so glad your son is learning that at such a young age. God is such a loving Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bevy, this is so sweet!!! I love when things like this happen, the kids and I always say "Isn't that just like Jesus." We also love the Jesus Story Book too!!! This was a sweet moment, it is sweet to see s child realize something like this, and like you said often times us grown ups need to be reminded just as much! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...