Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

No "knead" to fear...

One of my biggest fears turns out to be (get this) baking my own bread/rolls. Okay, now that I've admitted that, I'm not sure how or when that fear has come to light, other then in several attempts of making my own bread, it has never turned out very nice. I want to blame the yeast...the flour... Ahhh! We'll blame the recipe.

So over the holidays my sister was nominated to bring the dinner rolls. YUMMY!!
She, by the way, is the "bomb-diggity" when it comes to anything in the kitchen. Love you, sis! Well, I asked her for the recipe and I'm so glad I did.


This is, by far one of the easiest recipes I have found to make dinner rolls. So I thought I would share it with you. So delicious too.



~Marion's Dinner Rolls~

(I like the name of the recipe because that was my Grandmother's name- Marion.)

1 T. yeast

2 cups warm water

1 egg

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup sugar

6 1/2 cups bread flour (you may use some whole wheat)

Mix together and knead a few minutes. Let stand in bowl until it rises (about 1 1/2-2 hours). Work down and shape into rolls. Place into buttered pie pans - 6 to a pan. Let rise until double. Bake at 300* for approx. 20 minutes or until a nice golden brown. Butter tops while hot. Place in plastic bags while still warm (this is optional - though it does help to keep the rolls moist).

* This recipe also works to make Cinnamon Rolls. Top with a either a cream cheese or Caramel icing. Very yummy!!

An idea came one night for supper; to make Turkey Salad and to serve it on these dinner rolls along with a leaf of red-leaf lettuce and a slice of cheese. It was so tasty. There is nothing like homemade bread - I know. I have decided that I have NO KNEAD to fear. That it is simply something to keep doing, only to get more efficient with it.

What's on your menu for dinner? Let me know how your rolls turn out.

3 comments:

  1. My mom uses that same recipe. It came from some old Mennonite cookbook that she has. It used shortening instead of oil but I used butter and they turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very similar recipe for whole wheat dinner rolls that I make in my bread machine (on the dough cycle) ... everyone loves them. My recipe also uses butter instead of oil.
    As to what's for dinner at our house ... Beef and Barley Stew in the crock pot.
    Glad to see you figured out how to start your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you've gotten started, get yourself a copy of "Recipes From the Old Mill" by Sarah E. Myer and Mary Beth Lind. It's fabulous! If you need any recommendations from it, let me know. Roy even bakes some of the recipes from it, although he doesn't do any of the yeast recipes.
    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...