Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

DUMP!

In yesterday's post I mentioned something about being creative in cooking...
Well here is a question for you.

If you could use one word to describe yourself in the kitchen, what word would that be?

It doesn't take me long to come up with my answer because I think I was born to be a "dump-cook". That is my answer, by the way.
I had to think about how and why this is true, and my thoughts go back to my Grammy who would always refer to herself as someone in the kitchen who just used "a little of this and a smidgen of that"... and so the term "dump-cook" was born.

I am not trying to brag when I share this but I do love and appreciate that trait being passed down to me. There is nothing more satisfying then to serve up a dish, let alone a meal, all based on the gift of creativity. In a greater sense it is also being very frugal and that alone is a definite need (at least in our home) these days. Take for instance the recipe, Chicken Gumbo, calls for specific ingredients like bread, cheese and mayo. Yes! I had those items on hand but I also had a bread bowl that was used a couple of days ago to hold a spinach dip. There was a little bit of dip left (which was made with mayo, sour cream, spinach and seasonings) - which was enough to use as a replacement for this particular recipe and so wha-laa! Instead of slices of bread as the recipe called for, I just went ahead and cut up the remaining bread bowl (that I made the other day) into cubes, and used the remaining dip for the mayo.... and I must say. The dish was delicious.

I really appreciate this about my hubby (who also doesn't mind being the guinea pig around here) when he'll make mention to the little ones or whomever is over for dinner; "Eat it up. You'll never see this recipe again". Or the opposite, "Well, never mind if you don't like it we'll never see it again". and "Babe, this is really good! I wish you would remember what you did - but I guess I'll never see this again, I'd better enjoy it while I can".

But there is something to be said about creativity in the kitchen. When budgets are tight and the phrase of "wasting not, wanting not" is floating around in my head... what is a woman to do but get a little creative. There is nothing wrong with just sitting down, with several cookbooks in hand and just taking the time to read through them. Their chalk full of hints, suggestions and ideas and eventually things come together so much that you might not even need to follow a cookbook. You learn what "stuff" just goes together. Baking is a whole different story; Baking is a science where cooking is an art! So there, you know what one of my favorite past-times are. Reading cookbooks -and not really following them!

Now that I made some of you a little nervous... sorry! You're still welcome to come to dinner anytime. And that brings up another blog-post idea, but we'll save that for another time.

4 comments:

  1. Ahh Bevy, I'm so jealous! I still need to follow recipes, even after 35 years of cooking, although I do like to "tweak" them. My future daughter-in-law is like you~~she can whip up impromptu dishes that are wonderful. Are you going to make anything special for Valentine's Day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea! I made dump soup last night and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for directing me to this post! Love it! I may have to try it - I'll let you know how it goes. I am also loving the recipe for granola bars. I've been wanting to make more homemade ones instead of store bought wrapped ones. I will probably try this in the next few weeks as well - and I'll let you know how THAT goes as well! I'd be proud to be on your blog list! I've been checking in on yours - so if it is ok by you, I will probably add yours as well! :) Oh, you have a very cute family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bevy! Just came across your blog and am reading the older posts. Love it. I'm your newest follower. I also am a dump cook. I laughed when I read "You'll never see it again" because that is what is said in our house also. And it's so true!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...