Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Do you do halloween?


The other day I asked our landlord if he would mind if I bought a few corn stalks from him, so that I could decorate a bit, for fall.

"Sure!, no need to pay me, I'll giv'em to ya.  How many you want? and I'll bring 'em right up." 
Mr. A is a very dutchy (Pennsylvannia Dutch) man and he makes me chuckle everytime we talk.  In fact, Caleb likes to just call him, "A" (his full last name) and so, of course, we do too.  Then he decided that Caption Crunch (the man on the cereal box) was in fact- "Mr. A".

Mr. A could be a whole 'nother post.  We'll keep that in mind.

Anyway, the other day (and this was after I had set the cornstalks out and had obtained a few FREE pumpkins!  Thanks to my brother, who works part-time for another farmer.) I was on my way out, with the kids.  Mr. A was out side and in his usual PA dutch calls out, "howdy, buddy!" - talking, of course, to Caleb.  And then he says to me; "looks like halloween around here." we talked some more and then parted ways. 

We love living here, by the way!!

So, after pulling away, I got to thinking about what he said...wondering to myself... "uhmm, maybe he doesn't care for the decorations,  or, I don't know.... I don't think, he and or his family celebrate halloween."

I know he is Mennonite, so I highly doubt it.  I also grew up conservative Mennonite and I will not celebrate halloween - as it's expected in today's culture.  My hubby and I can go round and round on this debate - which for the record, I am not looking to get into people's opinion or belief system whether we should participate in halloween or not.

What I am trying to get at is this.  Ironically, as I was driving along thinking about all of this.  I had the radio on to our local Christian station.  And the "morning show" dude was talking about this very subject.  Halloween.  But, he brought a very interesting perspective to the converstation (because he was talking to someone else in the studio) and asking for comments, online or over the air. 

It has left me really thinking about this.  Here it is- the gist of what he said.


"Our neighbors may or may not be neighborly or (very) friendly.  We wonder at times how to "break the ice" and connect with them.  Halloween is a time where people excpect people to come to their doors.  THEY ACTUALLY LEAVE THE LIGHT ON, for you to "feel welcome".  They "plan" to treat you... if you show up."

Further more...
"What if we (as Christians) did the opposite, in a sense, and used these "open doors" as a way to meet our neighbors?  Use this as a tool to Introduce yourself;  be friendly/neighborly; treat them with fresh, home-baked cookies (or whatever); invite them to church;  find out if there is a way to do something practical for them.   Kids are a great way to help "break the ice".  Get your church group involved.  Think hospitality... on the go!"

: : I am really curious if this stirs anyone else up?  Have you ever heard of doing this before?  Is it "out there"?  I am nervous and excited thinking about this challenge.  Will we do it, as a family?  I don't know... but think of the memories, or new traditions that could be result out of doing something like this!

Can't you just hear it now?  You're kids telling other kids... "yeah, we do halloween...but this is how we do it - different!"

3 comments:

  1. I like this! Kind of "out of the box".
    You could take this even farther and do it on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc.
    What a fun way of thinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! We used to avoid Halloween and just go to our church's carnival, but when we moved into a new neighborhood 3 years ago, a lady across the street actually waited for our kids to come knocking on her door. She had candy to pass out to trick-or-treaters, but she had purchased Clifford books to give to my 4 children as a special treat. Last year she gave them candy and boxes of animal crackers.

    Halloween had become a turning point for our family in our new neighborhood. Now we take our kids trick-or-treating on our street--mostly to visit with our neighbors (something we never thought we'd do as a family). Those who don't attend church can see our being careful about the holiday as being un-neighborly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting, I have been wondering about this also. Reegan dresses up for her school party, I won't let her do anything "nasty" and somebody was just telling me that when trick or treaters come to thier door, not only do they give out candy but a tract and invite the kids to church!We live to far out of town to get any treaters, but if I did live where they came, I would really consider this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...