Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Homemade Stromboli

Here is a great recipe for Stromboli that I believe is turning into quite the favorite around here.  My brother was over the other night for dinner and I knew that this recipe would be a sure hit, to serve.  I was feeling like a Cheesesteak Stromboli... and so, I "created" away.  Here is the initial dough recipe and then I go from there, with the filling ingredients.


~Stromboli~

1 loaf frozen bread dough  - *thawed and rolled out into large rectangle, as large and thick as you like.

2 egg yolks  (save the egg whites)
1 Tbsp. Parmesan Cheese

1 tsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. oil


Mix well, and spread over dough with the back of spoon. 
Use your favorite ingredients to layer inside, before rolling up - starting with widest side first.

I usually will spread most of my mozzerella cheese down first after the egg yolk mixture... then I usually will use some or all of the following: pepperoni, diced ham chunks, sausage crumbles, crumbled bacon, chopped onion, mushrooms and green peppers - finally adding a sprinkle or two of more cheese, just to help bind it.


Roll up and carefully place onto a 11x17 baking pan.  Cut a couple of diagonal slits across the top of Stromboli and then brush the top with reserved egg whites.  Sprinkle parm cheese and garlic salt over top.  Bake at 375* for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. 

Enjoy with your favorite Marinara Sauce for dipping.  Our favorite is an Aldi's brand.  Grandessa - Chunky Marinara. 


: : *If you pull frozen dough out of the freezer about 10 AM and let it sit in greased bowl all day, to thaw - it's ready to start to rolling out by 5pm, just in time for dinner.  OR you can make your own dough.  My recipe will follow below...but with homemade dough like this, you'll probably NEVER, EVER want to buy frozen bread dough again. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, now for the Cheesesteak Stromboli.  Yummm!! 



First, here is my
Homemade Stromboli Dough Recipe.

1 Tbsp. yeast
1 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/2 tsp. salt
2 3/4 cups flour
Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add sugar, salt and oil.  Mix in flour until you have a soft workable dough.  Let rise for 10 minutes.  Roll out on a floured surface to the size you want (a good approximate size is 15x18). 

Spread the egg yolk mixture on it... then go ahead with your toppings of choice. 

What I did to make it a Cheesesteak Stromboli :

1 package of beef steaks; broken into small pieces, browned and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste (In my case, since we butcher our own meat, I used one package of our beef steak - about 1 lb. of meat)
1/4 cup finely chopped or sliced raw onion
several fresh mushrooms, sliced

After rolling out the dough, and spreading the egg yolk mixture.  I sprinkled about a cup of shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan... then adding the beef.  I threw the raw onions and mushrooms on there, and because I had shredded Yellow American Cheese on hand I covered the top with that... and began rolling, starting with the widest side.  I finished it off by rubbing the egg whites over the top, cutting about three diagonal slits in the top of the dough.  Sprinkle of grated Parmesan Cheese and Garlic Salt... and into the oven.  375* for about 45 minutes.

** The best compliment I had was of Scott's "yummmin" the whole time while eating it and saying how he thinks we need to figure out how to market these -or at best, "at least make up several and keep them in the freezer for.... whatever."   - I looked at him with a question of ; "YOU obviously have no idea how easy this is to whipp up, do you?".  I can make you a fresh stromboli anytime...

The second best compliment was of my brother trying to restrain himself to two slices, knowing Scott would probably like at least one piece in his lunch the next day.  The third best compliment, that I recieved ,was from Caleb asking for "some more, pweeze".  And Aubrey?  Well, she nibbled and gnawed and then threw it on the floor. (Hey, at least one of us was being completely honest.)  As for me, I was pretty impressed... especially, with the Marinara dipping sauce, from Aldi's.

 

8 comments:

  1. So..... this is easy to whip anytime, huh?? :) Looks delicious!! Have to try it and soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome. I haven't made stromboli in a very long time! The cheesesteak variety looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEVY! This looks so good, and it's SO BAD I am reading this post right before lunch because now I am STARVING! You are a cooking artist :)

    PS - Thanks for your thoughts a little while ago on marriage that you shared (I think the post was called Blue Skies or Clear Skies or something). It was something God really wanted me to read, as my husband and I are in the process of finding new ways to love one another and grow in our ability to show that love. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum ... we love homemade stromboli!

    ReplyDelete
  5. stromboli is a big hit our house...
    i'm copying your recipe down!
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love stromboli here, too! I haven't made it for awhile...you just helped me with my menu plan for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Stromboli... this looks great, and so gooey.
    Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are trying this tonight..and I can't wait for dinner time!
    I'll be sure to check back in for final results. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...