Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, June 14, 2010

*new* neighbors, *new* recipe, *new* outlook

It was a wonderfully, busy weekend.  Saturday, especially...

Because I celebrated my 37th birthday last week... I suppose the "fun" just needed to continue on into the weekend, which was totally fine with me.

One of the highlights of the weekend, was the opportunity to extend hospitality to our *new* neighbors.  We've been trying to mesh our schedules since they've moved in over two months ago... but, it never worked out.  Until.  We decided to do a Saturday Morning Breakfast. 

It was perfect.   

Well.  Almost...
I decided to make a new dish.  (Scott likes to give me a hard time about that.  But, I have my reasons.  You can ask me, why?, if you need to know).  Anyway, It turned out really, REALLY good - this dish.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Although I didn't get any outstanding close-up photos of it... I'll share the recipe anyway.

~Egg and Cheese Bake~

1 cup biscuit mix (Bisquick)
1 1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 lb. (2 cups) grated Cheddar cheese
1 tsp. dried or 2 tsp. fresh onion
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes or 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. salt
dash of dry mustard
6 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk

3/4 cup butter

Mix ingredients in order listed, except for the butter.  Melt the butter in 9x13 baking dish. Pour egg-cheese mixture, spreading evenly.  Bake at 350* for 40 minutes.


This was so easy, and so delicious.  Since it was the first time of me making this recipe I decided to follow it by the book... and then maybe another time add a bit of Bevy-love.   Although it didn't need much else added... I would consider adding some crushed corn-flakes mixed with some melted butter.  Not sure if I would do that to the top or the bottom.  The butter in the bottom (mixed with Bisquick in the batter) already created a bit of a crunchy crust. 

All that to say... I knew we needed some sort of meat and veggie, on the side.

I went ahead and roasted about 6 stalks of Asparagus wrapped in half bacon slices.  Drizzled with a bit of Olive Oil and a sprinkle of Seasoned Salt.


I also whipped up a fresh fruit platter along with a simple fruit dip of 1 cup of Marshmallow Cream and 8 oz. of softened Cream Cheese.

While we were eating Cinnamon Rolls were warming in the oven.  ;)

ALL WAS GOING WELL.... until about half way through our breakfast... I about choked.  Nobody knew I about did that....(until now - you do!) and no one realized the reason... I about choked.

I noticed that my hand embroidered, cross-stitched table cloth ( I believe done by my grandmother) was put on the table - the wrong side up.  And, yes...I did that!!!!!!!  Totally, by accident.

Once I really took notice, I could see little pink threads stringing all across the table - EVERYWHERE.  I sat back - completely humbled - but continued to enjoy the pleasantries of our company.  It was a wonderful time of fellowship and getting to know our friends ~ our guests, a bit better.  Who (I hope!) were totally oblivious to my mishap or, at best, were too gracious to make mention of it.

Isn't there a life lesson in this, somewhere??  A new outlook on life??

Perfection can (and oft times will) take away from beauty - naturally found in happenstance. 

I completely made that up, right now, but I'm learning that I need to learn this.   Do you know what I mean??

So, this is what I thought of ...but, what went through your mind?  Please share your thoughts...I would love to hear what you've taken from this.

6 comments:

  1. The table looks lovely! I'll bet even if anyone noticed, they didn't mind. Your loving heart is apparent in all you do. Thank you for being you, dear Bevy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice way to welcome your new neighbors!
    The egg and cheese bake looks delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe. :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you've discovered about life. Perfection can take away from the beauty. Beaut comes from brokeness and quirks and things that make it unique...like pink threads as a backdrop for a wonderful meal. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was there to taste the Asparagus wrapped in half bacon slices. Mmmmm . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just tells me that you really cared about having your neigbhors over and you let them know (without mentioning it) that you aren't perfect and have a HUGE heart!
    Besides you are a mother of two precious little ones, so you are busy.
    I give you an A+!

    I know I mentioned that I really love the pictures on your header but this new one is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved today's post, Bev Lahaye! I am also SO glad to see the 'blurry' coffee cup back on your page! YIPPEE! I really missed it when it was gone :)
    I think I'll try that Egg dish - I wish I'd been at your breakfast table. Your hospitality is like none other - precious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...