Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Friday's Finds | happy

. .. . . .. . . . . .. ... .. . . . . .. .
Proverbs 27:9  ~  Oil and Perfume make the heart glad...

I chuckled when I read this verse. the other evening... because it's true HAPPY - makes me happy.  And, all the more reason to wear perfume- right?



This has been one of my "tried and true" fragrances - I've worn it since it first came out, I suppose.

****
I want to share this little "letter" I found, written to a friend, by an 83 year old woman.  I think it makes for a great ~ Friday's Finds. 


Dear Bertha,
I'm reading more and dusting less.
I'm sitting in the yard and admiring the view without fussing about the weeds in the garden.

I'm spending more time with my family and friends and less time working.
Whenever possible, life should be a pattern of experiences to savor, not to endure.
I'm trying to recognize these moments now and cherish them.

I'm not "saving" anything; we use our good china and crystal for every special event - such as losing a pound, getting the sink unstopped, or the first Amaryllis blossom.
I wear my good blazer to the market.  My theory is if I look prosperous, I can shell out $28.49 for a small bag of groceries.
I'm not saving my good perfume for special parties, but wearing it for clerks in the hardware store and tellers in the bank.

"Someday" and "one of these days" are losing their grip on my vocabulary.  If it's worth seeing or hearing or doing, I want to see and hear and do it now.
I'm not sure what others would've done had they known they wouldn't be here for the tomorrow that we all take for granted.
I think they would have called family members and a few close friends.  They might have called a few former friends to apologize and mend fences for past squabbles.  I like to think that they would gone out for a nice Chinese dinner or for whatever their favorite food was.  I'm guessing.  I'll never know.
It's those little things left undone that would make me angry if I knew my hours were limited.  Angry because I hadn't written certain letters that I intended to write "one of these days".  Angry and sorry, that I didn't tell my husband and parents enough - how much I truly love them.

I'm trying very hard not to put off, hold back or save anything that would add laughter and luster to our lives.
And every morning when I open my eyes, I tell myself that it is special.  Every day, every minute, every breath truly is a gift from God.

~ Sincerely yours,
your friend
(http://www.appleseeds.org/)

***

There is some great advice in that letter, isn't there?  When I read the line about the perfume.  I smiled.  I don't do it everyday - but, I sure do try.  By spraying a spritz on my wrist, every morning, while getting dressed for the day... means it's for me!!  It's a little something I can do to make me feel more human and ready to roll through the punches of the day - in a happy sort of way.   Maybe I'll even slip in a pair of earrings, while I'm at it.  Why not?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Bev, tried to read the letter without crying. This lent, I just wrote a poem on my blog, about how I'm done with Lent and ready for Easter, trying to get to enjoy life, with my family- Ralph and Chantel, doing things like eating out together and doing things we enjoy when we can.... My focus is on Heaven and those there and enjoying life together, while we can.... Interesting... :-) My memory day for our 3 children and my parents- actually for Blessing our 1st child, who would have been a Kindergartener this fall 2011, is April 20th. We enjoy planting a garden and going to the nature center as family to be together and remember and dream about seeing our family in the future. I think it will be to remember 5 people this year... :-(
    By the way, my favorite perfume for me, is Longing... I used to put in on all my letters I sent to Ralph when I was at college and we were dating... :-) I still wear it... Ralph wears "Polo" that I bought for him a while ago, only on special occasions, since he knows I like it... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet letter, and very true! We should make the most of each day!
    Hope you're doing well and have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful letter full of wisdom! Have a great weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate you sharing your perfume story.
    Isn't it great the fun names we have chosen to splash on us.
    Happy, Longing and me, Grace (this is the one I wear).

    When you wear HAPPY everyday, your children will remember it. When they smell it, in some random place, it will bring back wonderful memories of you.

    Keep Happy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...