Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

by the road I walk

.. . . .. ... .  ..  .  . . .  .....  ..  . .. . .  ..  . .. . .... . .  ..  .

Recently, my two little girls and I were on a "country drive".  It was a gorgeous fall day - as you can tell.  And I, of course, was feeling a bit nostalgic as we drove around on these familiar back roads. 
I'm just that way...

Memories.

They have this way of creeping in and lingering around.  I don't mind.  Because these "memories" hold a great deal of sentimentality for me.  Legacy-memories that I want to pass on down to my children - even though these memories are not their own.



We came across the church where I grew up attending.  Okay... maybe it was intentional of me to drive by here.  There is a. LOT. of. HISTORY. here at this church.  And, not just this church but in the surrounding community, as well.


Both sets of my grandparents were married in this church.  In fact, one set of grandparents served as bridal attendants in the others wedding. One of my grandfather's served as a deacon, here.  My parents grew up together here, attending the same Sunday School Class.  In fact... get this... my paternal grandmother offered to carry my then infant mother into church for the first time as my maternal grandmother was getting out of the car.  ((interesting!))

They were friends.  This was where relationships were formed and established.  My parents got married in this church.  My dad is now buried here.  And so are all of my grandparents.  You can't see it in the photo - but there is a school here and I went to this school...and so did all my siblings. 

This is STILL a part of us.  Of me.  A memory.  A legacy?

What I'm really getting at is this. 


Roads take us places. Roads serve a purpose...some more then others. Some are pleasant, some are full of rough patches, they're crooked and bumpy, some are smooth sailing.  Roads lead us both in the coming and in the going. 

There are changes.  There are differences.  Memories remain (for me).  Good memories.  But the one thing that remains a constant is the Main Thing.  And that is Jesus Christ!

I am so grateful for my heritage.  I feel really blessed to have grown up in a godly home and a deeply-rooted, well founded Church and school.  Yet, regardless of all of that... I can really sense the "fight that it is" to maintain the walk - so that I can live the talk - that was passed down to me. 

I think of the verses in Deuteronomy 6:5-7.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 
These commandments I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk (drive?) along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

I want my children to be as blessed and as grateful for their (Lord Willing!) godly heritage that they are being given.  I am aware that my children (still) may take an even different road than I have chosen.  You know?  That is hard to think about sometimes...and it can worry me some, but it's all we can do to be faithful to "talk about Jesus", with them, and walk in the light of HIS truths - living life, the life abundant, before them - while they are under our direct care and influence.  It's hard!

Lord willing, one day my children will look back - with the intentionality of remembering the road that has changed their history, their course in life, their future.  Presenting a legacy to leave behind.

Heaven bound?

6 comments:

  1. You are so blessed to have that heritage. Faith was lost in our family. This summer I was given a copy of beautiful letter someone wrote in 1912 thanking my great grandparents for leading her to the Lord. That faith was lost through the generations and I did not grow up hearing the Gospel because of family. By the grace of God, I believe my g-grandparents prayers for their family's salvation were answered through strangers, not their own children and grandchildren. It makes me rejoice and weep all at once.

    May the Lord grant you the strength and wisdom to finish the race strong as you desire.
    mommamindy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Bevy! This post was just-so-beautiful! You have the most wonderful gift in being able to write down thoughts so beautifully! It brought tears to my eyes as I was instantly transported to my own family history and memories. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings dear sister in Christ,
    Shirley Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! The connections in your family past are amazing - our God is ingenious like that! :)

    I hear you, I try not to worry about where my kids will be in the future so I focus on today and how I can show, talk, and live Christ to them. It's a constant woking in me and rarely a working in them - something that I did not consider until I started to pray more about how to show them a life in Christ. Ah how being a parent changes so many things. :)

    PS. I LOVE country drives - especially with a cup of coffee! ;) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderfully thoughtful post. I have a godly heritage dating back almost 200 years (and probably more than that!). I am so thankful to have been raised in a godly home and attend a little white church similar to yours where my great-grandparents were the first wedding and my grandmother was baptized. So often I take this all for granted. Thank you for making me stop and think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are prayers for my girls too. your country road looks exactly like all my country roads. lots and LOTS of trees:) beautiful. have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm....loved this! Such a beautiful post, Bevy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...