Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Cheeseburger Soup and Cornbread

. .. .. ... . .. . .. . .. . ... .. . .. . .. . ... . . .. .. . .. . .. ..
Good Morning, to you... it's another grey and foggy, and quite a bit of soggy sort of day around here.  It's all good.  I love these kinds of days...  

Feel's kind of like a soup and cornbread day - don'tcha think? 

So, here you go.

Today's Special.  Two recipes for the price of one. ;)  Fair enough?

Actually, I made this the other evening.  And recently, I acquired a new blog reader here at Treasured Up and Pondered who has been asking about this recipe.  So, Connie, this one is for you. (smile!)

Cheeseburger Soup

1/2 lb. ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup grated carrots
3/4 cup diced celery
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
4 T. butter, divided
3 cups. chicken broth/stock
4 cups. diced, peeled potatoes
1/4 cup. flour
8 oz. (2 cups) American Cheese cubed (or, mix of shredded Cheddar, Colby and American)**
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4- 1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup sour cream

In a  3-qt saucepan, brown beef, drain and set aside.  In the same saucepan, saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 Tablespoon of the butter until vegetables are tender; about 10 minutes.  Add broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter and add flour.  Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.  Add to soup; bring to a boil.  Cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Reduce heat to low.  Add cheese, milk nad salt and pepper;, cook and stir until cheese melts.  Remove from the heat and blend in sour cream.  Yield: 8 servings (2 1/4 quarts)

** I sometimes will use 8 oz. of cubed Cream Cheese.
~~~~~

Cornbread

1/2 cup butter - very soft (can be melted)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup cornmeal
7 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder (yes! you read that right.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups milk

Put all ingredients into a batter bowl and mix with a hand mixer.  Pour into a greased 8 x 11 (or 9x13) glass baking pan (yes, glass works best).  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

~~~

This Cornbread recipe comes from a dear friend of mine. I have a funny story ( I think it's funny - at least, it's interesting!) to share with you about this here recipe.  I'll save it for another day, though.


***
I want to know about something that made you "pause and ponder" over the weekend.  Anything?

This one got me.  Consider it food for thought.

"Even on the most exalted throne in the world we are only sitting on our own bottom." 
~ Michel de Montaigne

8 comments:

  1. I love cheeseburgers, so I am sure I would love the soup : )

    Hope you have a great day Bev! I love the fog! I have been able to capture so many gorgeous pictures in it. I am sort of hoping we have some for the big wedding I have coming up this weekend. I think it is romantic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... this fog sure has been BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Everywhere I turn I see another "photo" that should be taken. If only. If only my eyes could be the camera instead of digging out the man made contraption that it is. I'm glad someone is out there capturing it. And you... take amazing photos, my friend.

      Our God is amazing! for giving all of this beauty to enjoy. You know?

      Delete
  2. Just made a pot of soup. Now I want to make your cornbread!

    Pondering: Why some Christians think that abortion is OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know... I think about this a lot too, Christine. About abortion...
      ~B

      PS: You will not regret the cornbread.

      Delete
  3. I'm pondering why in the world ANY recipe would call for 7 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder - I simply can't fathom it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup looks delicious! I am trying to write more and cook faster, so things that can go in the crock pot at lunch time are my favorites. So, I cook the two meals of the day at the same time. Looks great!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I already told you this on Sunday, but what made me pause and ponder over the weekend was looking back over pictures of my girls when they were babies. How I miss age 1! Time passes so quickly. Makes me want to cherish every moment. We sure cherished our afternoon with you guys on Sunday! Thanks again for coming over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Bev,
    I just made this corn bread recipe for our "winternic" tomorrow. Bringing my Chili and rice to go with it. Can't wait to try the cornbread and enjoy all the fellowship tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...