Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

{yuletide carols} Away In A Manger / What Child Is This?

. .... .... .... .. .. . . .. .. . .... .. ..... .. ... ... ... .

Away in a manger,
No crib for His bed
The little Lord Jesus
Laid down His sweet head
The stars in the bright sky
Looked down where He lay
The little Lord Jesus
Asleep on the hay

The cattle are lowing
The poor Baby wakes
But little Lord Jesus
No crying He makes
I love Thee, Lord Jesus
Look down from the sky
And stay by my side,
'Til morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus,
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me I pray
Bless all the dear children
In Thy tender care
And take us to heaven
To live with Thee there


The Sweetest Christmas Hymn of all time..
***

The other day, I found my Aubrey playing with our "toy" nativity set ...
She had quite the narrative going on with it.  I will say it wasn't exactly the Christmas story - as we know it from Scripture, especially coming from a bright and very imaginative 5 year old.  I should say I was rather surprised (or maybe, I wasn't) on how she was giving it her own twist.

All that to say ~  it really made me think through the words, to the song...
"What Child is This...?"
***
What Child is this who, laid to rest
On Mary’s lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?
This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing;
Haste, haste, to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christians, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.
Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

So bring Him incense, gold and myrrh,
Come peasant, king to own Him;
The King of kings salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him.
Raise, raise a song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby.
Joy, joy for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

**
Though I still may pause to ponder, at times, just WHO really this Child  is...
One thing I know for sure..
This God-child, Jesus!  He not only made a way- He is the Way!
~
May you have a Blessed Christmas Eve..
Are you doing anything special this evening?

We have our usual Christmas Eve service tonight, and both Caleb and Aubrey are participating in the Children's Choir this year.  They're nervously excited about it - as you can imagine.  We, as parents, are too!
Christmas Pj's - here we come!
Just one little tradition, we have here, is to open one present on Christmas Eve!
And that is the kids Christmas Pajamas..

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved both of these songs...hope to catch up on all the back posts with the carols...I have enjoyed the posts I had a chance to read. Just wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas! Hope it is filled with lots of love and joy!!!! Christmas...God's gift to us!!!!!!!!!!! Melanie P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved these two as well... Merry Christmas Bevy... and I did the same when my kiddos were small... one present on the eve of Christmas and PJ's it was... Makes for a joyous Christmas morning...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...