Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

gettin' in that conglomerate mood


Here is a delicious way to use up grilled marinated steak... should there be any leftover, correct?



I had that happen the other week. 

We pulled a couple of steaks out of the freezer - not realizing how many were in the package.  Not a problem.  They would definitely get eaten... one way, or the other.  I will often get into a conglomerate mood.  Those of you who know me personally, know this to be very true.

I took the extra grilled steak, with it's nice BBQ flavor... chopped them up into small bite-size pieces.  Threw in a can of diced tomatoes (do not drain) with sweet onion, a can of rinsed black beans, and a small can of Mexi-corn (with the red and green peppers), drained. 

See, not too unusual.  It all works. 
Then I added one of these little guys... and heated it through.



You should  have seen the look on Scott's face when he noticed this pile on the counter, for the first time. 

Utter confusion and complete bewilderment.

Here is the recipe.

~Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix~
1/4 cup instant minced onion
3 T. chili powder
2 T. ground cumin
2 T. salt
1 T. crushed, hot red pepper flakes
1 T. minced garlic
1 T. cornstarch
2 tsp. oregano, crushed fine

Combine and mix all ingredients.  Divide into 6 equal portions and place in small envelopes or wrap tightly in baggies.

TO USE:  Mix one pound browned hamburger, 1 T. ketchup, 1/2 cup water and one envelope of taco mix.  Simmer and stir, uncovered until water has evaporated.
(If you want to.  I just throw it into whatever it is I'm making and don't bother with the ketchup.)
* * Great with chicken or beef.


So.  The little ones just scarfed this dish right up.  They certainly take after their daddy and love their "HOT STUFF".  Scott will even kick his up a notch by adding his favorite - Cholula Hot Sauce... but, you know what I mean?  I, on the other hand, will add a daisy dollop or two. ;) 

At least there is no more confusion and bewilderment on Scott's part.  He loves when I get in that conglomerate mood.  Just to spice things up a bit.

: : Do you know what a daisy dollop is??  Just checkin'....


~ By the way.  I take no credit for the Taco Seasoning Mix.  Someone else conglomerated that one up.

4 comments:

  1. Yumm~~a daisy dollop of sour cream! Thank you for posting the recipe. It looks so much better for you than the store-bought envelopes that contain things you can't pronounce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks totally like something I would whip up from leftovers.

    Thanks for the taco seasoning recipe. I've been wanting to make my own. I haven't bought it for a long time, instead I just throw in a bunch of Mexican spices to whatever I'm making. :-)

    Had to laugh about Scott's reaction to baggies of seasoning. Andy doesn't ask anymore. :-) He says, "I'm sure you know what you're doing, even if I don't." LOL!!!! Although it was really really funny when he looked in the fridge one time and thought the congealed chicken stock was a big bowl of pudding. That cracked me up! "Knock yourself out and enjoy that pudding, honey!" :-)

    Thanks for your sweet comment this morning. You're such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steak doesn't last long around our house either! Love the idea of making your own taco seasoning mix. I am going to save this recipe to try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! I use a similar recipe for Taco seasoning. It is so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! What do you think? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...