Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Coming out of the kitchen... {Eva's beets and Old Fashioned bread and butter pickles}

. .. ... ... ... . .... .. .. ... .... .... ..... .... .. .. ... . .. 
I've got two recipes for you, today!  Well, make that three!  You'll see in a minute..
 The first, being the Pickled Beets - which I've recently promised.  And, the second... Bread & Butter Pickles.
I bet you thought I had forgotten to share these with you?  I apologize...if you thought that. Certainly, not my intention.

***
Eva's Pickled Beets
Cook (scrubbed clean) beets until just slightly soft.  Peel, using your hands to rub the skins off, under cold running water and slice or chunk to size you prefer. Remember: They're hot!! (and you'll get very purple red hands unless you wear kitchen gloves..)  Fill clean and sterile jars (have them ready!)  Packing the jars as full as you can.  Hold the top of the jar and hit bottom of jar with your other hand.  You'll be surprised as to how many more you can put into the jar.
.. .. . ..
Bring the following ingredients to a boil.
4 cups vinegar
3 cups water (sometimes, I strain the beet juice left from cooking them and use for some of my water amount needed)
4 cups sugar
3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Pour boiling beet juice over the beets, in jars, and wipe off the rim of each jar to be sure they are clean.  Lid and band the jars to seal.  Let sit for 24 hours.  ** NO NEED to water bath to can.

Very easy to do!!!

Note: I did not specify an amount of beets.  This is an easy enough recipe that if you need more "juice" you can make another batch and store "leftovers" in the fridge (in canning jars) and bring it back up to a boil once more.  My mom suggests to seal those jars as well... until it is needed.

In case you're wondering who Eva is... Eva is a sweet friend (an older woman!) from the neighboring community.  I'm so grateful to her for sharing this recipe with me.  It's tried and true...actually, it is the best! in my opinion.  

***
And here is the second recipe which some of you have personally asked for.
Bread & Butter Pickles

Now to be honest.  I forget which of these two recipes it is that I've used, this time.  So, I'm going to provide you with two different Bread & Butter recipes.  Both, of which, are pretty simple.

Old-Fashioned Bread and Butter Pickles
(Use fresh cucumbers about 3-5 inches long, for these pickles.  Do not peel.)
1 gal. cucumbers
2 large onions
Slice thinly.
. .. .
1/2 cup salt
Ice water to cover
Stir to dissolve, and pour over cucumber mixture.  Cover with heavy plate to hold down under water.  Let stand for 3 hours.  Drain thoroughly and pack in jars.
. .. .
8 cups vinegar
4 cups sugar
4 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. turmeric
Mix together in saucepan.  Heat to boiling and fill jars, leaving one-inch headspace.
.. .. .
Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

**
Bread and Butter Pickles
6 cup sliced cucumbers
1 lb. onion chopped or sliced thin
1 green pepper, chopped (* I didn't or don't remember doing this..)
1/4 cup salt.
2 cups. brown or white sugar
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 T. mustard seed
2 cups vinegar

Mix vegetables with salt.  Let set for 3 hours.  Drain.  Make a syrup with remaining ingredients.  Bring to boil and add vegetable mixture.  Put in jars and seal.

*******

What is your favorite condiment to a nice dinner meal?  Or, alongside salad?

11 comments:

  1. AWESOME ! I love both bread and butter pickles and pickled beets . My mum always did these I am yet to try doing it on my own . I am hoping foe next year as our garden will be all ready and planted ! Thanks for the recipes , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome - Country Gal!! I know you'll enjoy these whenever you get to making some up yourself.

      Delete
  2. My Mom makes Bread and Butter Pickles all the time. My Hubby is constantly bumming them from her. He loves them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you and one more big Thank you! All the recipes online for pickled beets contained cloves and allspice, or garlic or other flavorings. I asked my mom (whom I am making these for) and she said she likes the "regular" pickled beets. This recipe is it! Yay! I am going to pull my beets today and proceed.

    Did I say thank you yet??? If not, then, Thank you!!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most certainly welcome - my friend, and you'll not be disappointed. I'm pretty sure!

      So good to hear from you again... love it! I'm off to pulling more beets today, myself. :)

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful. I have never made pickled beets, so I am delighted to have the recipe. I have grown to love beets. You make it seem wonderfully easy; thanks so much for sharing. I'm going to pin these for when I can come back to them.
    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope when you get to doing some up that you'll love them just as much... my three year has been begging for more "red beets" since I've been working on these. She likes to eat them faster than I can process.. :)

      Delete
  5. They look so pretty... I love the finished product... and then to eat it... Oh my.... thanks for sharing these wonderful recipes.... Have a great day....XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's that time of year, bevy! Love seeing the jars fill up. My girlfriend learned to can this summer and she was wondering aloud...where should I put all of these jars? I'm running out of room! I laughed and said...you need a pretty old chippy shelf to display them out in the open. This is food art at it's finest!!!

    And look at yours...beauty in the bounty!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...