Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

{day 24} Whispers from the Heart! :: Silence

. ... . .. ... . .. .. ... .. . ... .. .. ... . .. . .. . .. . ..
Shhh.  Do you hear that?
(smile!)
I couldn't resist.

Oh, you have no idea how literally I want to take this word prompt right now.

Silence.
Plain and simple. Dead silent.
To be able to gather it up and hold it loosely.  Not having to hold tightly; grasping, clinging...hoping to not let the moment go again.

You know that little saying.  Silence is golden?  Indicating it is something meant to be treasured?

I can recall an old time friend of mine saying she had gotten in trouble, one day, for talking in class, when she shouldn't have been.  For punishment she had to write on the chalkboard, the phrase...
Silence is golden.
Silence is golden.
Silence is golden.
As in, like a bunch of times.  
As she finished it off - at the last time of writing she concluded with this:

Silence is golden but sometimes it is just plain yellow.
In other words - boring!!
I have absolutely no idea if that was an original for her... but, it kinda makes me laugh.  One because only certain people can get away with that.  And, two.  I agree.

Don't get me wrong.  I love silence.  I just said it a minute ago. I want to hold on to silence and just marinate in it.  Other times... it's way too quiet.  And, then the silence is deafening.
Both in the literal and in the figurative.

And, I long for even just a whisper...loud enough to break in.

Heavenly Father... your Word commands us to "be still" (Psalm 46:10) - to sit in silence and allow you to do a deep heart-work. To know more fully who you are.  I know... if and when my busy takes over and I really can't hear you - it only gets louder still.  Quiet me.  Quiet my heart to settle down and still.
And, I know in so many ways you are working on me in this area.  
Some days, I can certainly hear better than others.  Silence is something I crave and then there are days when the silence craves me...it begs of me to slow down.  
It's never meant to bore... but to bless.

You want me to know you more fully and you beg... be still, my child, you say. 
Be still and know that I am God!  Yes!  I want to do this.. more!

How about you?  Are there moments for you where you long for silence? Does the silence ever seem so quiet you long for the clatter of activity; of noise?  Even for a whisper...?

****
Thank you, for joining with me in my 31 days of Five Minute Friday free writes.  I will be updating this home page, daily, so that you will not miss an entry.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me think also of the not so quiet mornings, evenings, holidays... when my boy was home, now that he is out on his own, I miss that NOISE, CHATTER, and would love to just be in the other room and hear his laughter, his giddy playfulness with his sister.. but that time has passed and I have plenty of quiet.. and somedays its a somber quiet... I use to feel like if only I could have a few moments of quiet, all to myself, now I wish I had the noise back.. I guess its true be careful of what we wish for.. and I wonder how I managed all those years before motherhood with all the quiet... seems like lightyears ago... Even though I feel this way at this moment, I do still enjoy some quiet time, I use it for gathering peace and give myself rest...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...