.. .. ... . . .. . . .. .. .. . .. . . . .. ... . . . .. . . ..
{Interjection: It really bothers me when someone tells me to 'just come' and to not bring anything. Yet! I do the very same thing, to others. I'll tell them to just bring their appetite(s) and that's it. I wonder why that is?}
So. Back to this dessert. It is a layered dessert. Rich. And, surprisingly it has a hint of coffee/mocha flavor even though there is nothing coffee about it.
Chocolate Bavarian Torte
1 (18 1/4 oz.) devil's food cake mix (except that I used a Ghirardelli Brownie Mix, instead**)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/4 - 2 cups. whipping cream, whipped
2 Tbsp. grated semi-sweet chocolate (I think I used some Hershey Kisses and just chopped them up - in my food chopper)
Bake the cake mix as directed on package. Use to 9" round cake pans. Cool for 15 minutes. Remove cake(s) from pan and cool completely on wire racks. (**...here is what I did. I baked the brownie mix as directed, in a 9" square baking pan. Perhaps under baking it a bit. Let it cool in the pan. And cut into 1" squares.)
In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt until fluffy. Fold in cream. Split each cake into two horizontal layers; place one on a serving platter. Spread with a 1/4 cup of the cream mixture - sprinkling 1/4 of the chocolate over that. Repeat layers.
(** What I did, was use a trifle bowl or a deep clear serving bowl. I layered a handful of brownie cubes - then some of the cream mixture and chocolate, repeating as I went. See photo.)
Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. (I'm not sure that I needed to do this last part with using the brownie. At least for this length of time.)
Enjoy! This pure decadence.

This looks so BAD! I love it. :)
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Debbie
I never want anyone to bring anything because I'm not just offering them a meal, but time off in the kithen. When I do have someone bring something, they go to so much work, and what they bring is amazing, but then I feel like I didn't get to bless them because they still spent a lot of time in the kitchen. :)
ReplyDeleteSo, I have resolved this by not asking then to bring anything, if they offer I turn them down graciously and thank them. If they ask a second time, I know they WANT to bring something because they enjoy cooking and then I say yes because I know it's their blessing to me.
The desert looks amazing....need to put this in my online recipe file.
mommamindy.blogspot.com
Hi Bevy:
ReplyDeleteFirst of all....this looks yummy! Can't go wrong with chocolate...secondly LOVING the music...I actually left it on while I did some research last night...very encouraging...
Laura
UMMM.... this is right up my alley! I'll take a huge helping of this, thank you very much!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness : ) I would like to make this for thankgiving or Christmas. YUM!
ReplyDelete