. ... ... ... .. ... . . .... .. ... .. .. .... .. ... . .. .. ..
Let me live in my house by the side of the road
and be a friend to man...
~ Sam Walter Foss
Let me live in my house by the side of the road
and be a friend to man...
~ Sam Walter Foss
How are those things you are grateful for - coming along? Mine are slowly being penciled in, in this journal of mine. I cannot say that I have listed each and every single day - since mentioning it here.. but, let me tell you. My attitude has been of gratitude... because, I'm truly grateful.
Today it is for:
* first snowflakes - flitting through the air
* the smell of apples - so pungent
* the sip of a hot beverage or two on this cozy day
(Yes! I've had more than one.)
***
Had a chance to read a poem to my kiddos this morning, before school. It comes from The Book of Virtues. A book we've been reading from - pretty near - each morning, that we can.
This poem, by New England poet, Sam Walter Foss, brings to light a picture of a humble house where a weary traveler may find a warm and hospitable welcome. It's entitled: The House By The Side of the Road. I'll let you look up to read for yourself. (it's worth it!)
And, it brought on the discussion, around the breakfast table - how as siblings; friends, neighbors...etc. We all are a representation of a "house" - by the side of the road. Cheering on, sharing the load, bringing on the encouragement that is needed... to one another. Friends are to be the "help-meets" to one another. In talking... I borrowed from an old blog post of mine (because, I think of this often, still!) - a few thoughts, as I shared with my kiddos, - about the fact that because we have Jesus in our hearts - our "house" should have obvious glowing windows. In other words... live beautifully.
You can read that post HERE!!!
***
I don't know. I feel kind of like a bit of a rambler here, but....I hope you were blessed. I hope you go and read that "old blog post" of mine. I hope you were also (perhaps) challenged...
Live Beautifully.

With Thanksgiving approaching, I am thinking more and more about what I'm thankful for! I love this Holiday so much!
ReplyDeleteWhen you wrote that you read your children a poem this morning, I envisioned them sitting around a meal and you sharing this moment with them. I use to read that very book to my children! It's been around a long time. But Truth never goes out of style.
Bless you Bev!
I've kept a gratitude journal for several years now and it really does make a difference in how we view life. It really does help me to establish an attitude of gratitude.
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy being privileged to know a bit about your conversations around the breakfast table with your kiddos, Bevy. Thank you for sharing some of those with us. I love that poem! And your post! And I am wondering if around your supper table this evening your kiddos are sharing how they both made a difference in the way that they looked at their day today.
Hugs to you!
Beautiful post Bevy... Giving thanks in all things really does change life.. Takes away the status of chasing others for sure.. as least for me.
ReplyDelete