Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Work at it!

. .. .. ... ... .. ... .. ... . . .. ... .. .. .. .  . . . .... .
Have you ever heard these words by Benjamin Franklin - they're said to be famous.  I don't recall hearing them before reading them, to the kids, this morning... but.  Let me tell you - they're about to become quite famous in this household.  I smile.  But, it is true.   These words are  most likely based on Scripture - I'm sure.  Maybe someone can share in the comments where they think they are found.  One verse I thought of is quoted in the photo I shared below.

Here is what Benjamin Franklin pens...

"Work while it is called today, for you know not how much you may be hindered tomorrow.  One today is worth two tomorrows; never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today."

(as discovered in the pages of The Book of Virtues, by William Bennett)

To be honest, Procrastination has been known to take root in this homes heart-soil.  It goes in spurts - the "weed" yanked out... but, by golly, it reappears from time to time!!  And... it, never fear, will get someone in trouble.

Let's just say - it created some lively conversation around the breakfast table, this morning,  as we took this "lesson" in and I simply pray - it will be truly taken to heart by all of us.  There never really is a good excuse.  Ever!! 

Working a home-based business reveals all the true colors.  I have to ask myself,  How hard am I willing to put in, what it takes, to see the harvest that I'm expecting!?!

I also like this scripture from 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 (NIV)...

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Here is another quote by Admiral "Bull" Helsey... from the same book; The Book of Virtues.
"The Lord gave us two ends to use, one to think with and one to sit with.  The "war" depends on which we choose - heads we win, tails we lose."
~~
Have a wonderful and productive week!!

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of the first part of what Benjamin Franklin penned, but I have however heard the latter part. I for one am not one to put things off, it weighs on my mind and really hinders my thoughts and days.. This has been a struggle between Hubby and myself because he is the opposite. He procrastinates with almost everything. Over the years I have really had to adjust my way of speaking to him about this topic because more times than not it leads to me grumbling at him. I have had to learn what is crucial to get done today and some things can wait. So what I am trying to say is that I had to prioritize. I had to look at the task, or desire to get the work done and ask myself is this a need or just a want because I like pretty, eye pleasing, or is a necessity for a better life or environment. I also agree with the verse you posted it is such a great reminder in the day to day. This is really a great topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this, Connie. I'm afraid I'm more like your hubby and my hubby is like you!! :) And, then. Sometimes we flip. But... what is hard is when you see your kids picking up some of these same traits. We are ALL a work in progress and we thank God for his AMAZING grace...as we strive to change and grow!!

      Delete

    2. I never would have thought that about you, and when we spoke on the phone I kinda thought Scott and I might have things in common. I am a number cruncher too.. :) But its all good either way.. Also, I seen the same with my children but I have to say I always thought my son would be the one who would be a procrastinator because he was so laid back and my daughter seemed more like me. It turned out that its just the opposite, my son picked up my traits more than I realized and I constantly remind Kylie that procrastination can bring strife to her life. I also agree with your statement that we all are a work in progress and we thank God for his Amazing Grace.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Friend...what an excellent post...filled with so many thought provoking statements.

    I actually had heard that quote for many, many, many years...but I thought it originated with my mother. :) Seriously. And here it was Ben Franklin's wisdom all that time.

    I have to be honest and admit that I have a problem with procrastination and I needed to read this post for myself. I will commit it to the Lord and see how He works this out in me. Thanks so much, Bevy. If you were here (or I were there) I'd give you a hug but since neither of those are happening I'll just send one here...XXXX

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...