Quiet and common notions...shared here...with you! Of life ~ our hearts and our home.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Funny Cake

.. .. . .. . .. . . .. . .. . . .. . .. . .. .. . . .. . .. . .. ... .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . . .
A little while ago now, I posted about it's counterpart.  Not a rival but it's close friend or cousin...whatever you want to call it.  Two very, very different pies... but you almost can't have the one without offering the other as an alternative or an addition to your breakfast menu selection.  They belong together. It's like they need to be mentioned in the same breath.  Shoo-fly and Funny Cake.

Well today, I'm giving Funny Cake it's place on the map.  I'm sharing with you the recipe that gets the most requests from my own family or friends.  It's an actual pie, but a cake nonetheless.  A true treat of the PA Dutch from generation to generation.  One that I like to make because the question is always asked... what makes it funny?  And for another reason... it's that a lot of folks don't know what it is, may never have had it before and therefore it is always a fun "hostess" treat to make - a nice gift to give. 

A homemade pie!  A funny cake, at that?  Who could possibly pass it up?




~ Funny Cake Pie ~


SYRUP - mix together the following and set aside
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 tsp. vanilla

CAKE MIXTURE
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
Cream together and then add:
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Sift together :
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
and add to creamed mixture.  Mix by hand, some lumps are okay.  Pour batter into 1 9" unbaked pie crust and pour chocolate syrup mixture over top, swirling around as you go.  Bake at 375* for 45-50 minutes.
Note:  To double the recipe and make two 9" pies or 3 8" pies - you must double all ingredients EXCEPT for the oil.  At that point, only use a total of a 1/3 cup of oil.
***
Always enjoyed with a cold glass of milk or hot cup of coffee!

5 comments:

  1. I noticed you never did share why the cake is called "funny cake." Could it be you aren't sure yourself? I find that hard to believe Bevy girl. :) I actually know the answer to that question. Shocking I know.
    Anyway, can't wait to try this recipe. Funny cake always scared me, but yours looks doable.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know why... my friend. Let's see if my other readers care to figure out why and what makes it a "funny cake".

    You can totally make this, Kelli. Easy. Peasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bevy~ This looks "funny" and tasty...
    I think I'll give it a whirl!
    Thanks for sharing.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy. Looks sooo good! And, no, I do know why it's called funny cake...but, I am sure it makes those you share it with happy.

    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know first hand how good this is:)

    It didn't last long!

    And I'm happy to have the recipe now;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by, today! You're visits always mean so much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...